View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014, 07:44 PM   #6369 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
I'm having 3 2gauge wires coming out of the controller to the motor so I could monitor all 3 currents, to see how the IGBTs are sharing current. I wasn't really thinking about it, but a good way to make them share current is to add resistance to the emitter of each igbt. In fact, you are supposed to add sufficient resistance so that you get at least a 0.2v drop at the maximum current (if you can't do a bunch of tests to match them). It just so happens, that a couple feet of 2 gauge wire at 500 amps will give a voltage drop of 0.2v. What are the odds. haha. It's like forcing them to be like mosfets. bam.

I finished lapping all 3 base plates (so they look like mirrors for the igbt mounting), and drilling them, and drilling the copper sheets, and the nomex sheets, and um... drilling and bending the enclosures, and um.... ordering all the parts for the control/driver boards (the parts arrived a couple days ago), and um... I can't think of anything else. The boards are being made. Did anyone hear that flushing sound last week? It was the sound of $175 going down the toilet when I had made a mistake on the board, ordered it to be halted, and started over. bawooosh! haha.

Last edited by MPaulHolmes; 03-31-2014 at 08:20 PM..