View Single Post
Old 04-04-2014, 09:21 PM   #41 (permalink)
cbaber
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
cbaber, when does your vtec kick in?

Just for notes, 55 mph was 1700 rpms, 70 mph was 2300 rpms. Not bad for a 1.3 engine. My sidekick runs 3 thousand rpms at 60 and it just climbs from there.
I'm not exactly sure, I would guess from 2500-3000 RPM. It also depends on engine load. I don't think there is a specific crossover point like traditional the traditional VTEC engines.

On a normal VTEC engine there is a normal camshaft profile and at a higher RPM like 5500 the engine switches to a "wild" camshaft profile for more power.

With VTEC-E the engine operates a camshaft profile at low RPM that has flat rings for one of the intake valves, allowing it to stay closed. This creates the unique swirl effect which promotes better combustion necessary for lean ratios. When the VTEC solenoid is activated it switches to a normal camshaft profile which activates all 16 valves and it essentially runs like a normal non-VTEC SOHC motor.

The 3-stage VTEC motor from Japan is the best of all worlds. It combines a 12V mode lean burn camshaft profile, with a normal profile, and a third aggressive profile. You get the full 130hp output at high ranges, and the fuel efficiency at the lower RPMs, and the useful power in the mid ranges.