Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2014, 09:21 PM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
cbaber, when does your vtec kick in?

Just for notes, 55 mph was 1700 rpms, 70 mph was 2300 rpms. Not bad for a 1.3 engine. My sidekick runs 3 thousand rpms at 60 and it just climbs from there.
I'm not exactly sure, I would guess from 2500-3000 RPM. It also depends on engine load. I don't think there is a specific crossover point like traditional the traditional VTEC engines.

On a normal VTEC engine there is a normal camshaft profile and at a higher RPM like 5500 the engine switches to a "wild" camshaft profile for more power.

With VTEC-E the engine operates a camshaft profile at low RPM that has flat rings for one of the intake valves, allowing it to stay closed. This creates the unique swirl effect which promotes better combustion necessary for lean ratios. When the VTEC solenoid is activated it switches to a normal camshaft profile which activates all 16 valves and it essentially runs like a normal non-VTEC SOHC motor.

The 3-stage VTEC motor from Japan is the best of all worlds. It combines a 12V mode lean burn camshaft profile, with a normal profile, and a third aggressive profile. You get the full 130hp output at high ranges, and the fuel efficiency at the lower RPMs, and the useful power in the mid ranges.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Cool

Yeah, the insight is like that too. It can activate under other situations, but typically it starts at 2700 when you are on level surface and just slowly pressing the go petal to the floor. I find thats the upper endI use for acceleration as once it engages its a nice boost. Next boost comes at 3700 rpms where the torque maxes out of the engine, then again about 5600 where the hp maxes out.

Now if you move the shifter to the sport mode it bumps the rms a thousand more than what it is currently and it likes to hover around 3 grand. It also automatically engine brakes with the valves open vs close so you get a nice drone when decelerating like a jake brake.

Red, I bet its fun to drive though. I want to drive a civic si for a year now and no dealer has one for me to take for a spin new or used. I see you can even get that as a 4 door sedan.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:18 PM   #43 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Frogger - '00 Honda Insight Gas Only (unHybrid)
90 day: 68.51 mpg (US)
How about P&G up said hill?
Old 04-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Me? Id say its suicide. When I see a hill, grade, etc I floor it and start droppin gears til I can maintain if not accelerate in the mid rpms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoD~ View Post
How about P&G up said hill?

Reply  Post New Thread