View Single Post
Old 04-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #61 (permalink)
ssnsvibe09
hypermiller somewhat.....

Sierra - '13 GMC 1500 SLE
90 day: 12.24 mpg (US)

Cruze Eco - '15 chevrolet Cruze Eco
Team Chevy
90 day: 46.52 mpg (US)
Was operating upper only then lower only, with some improvement in mileage. Did enjoy some improvement in mileage, and was able to increase IAT by a few degrees coolant temperature between 84 to 95.

Now that I have wired in a fan on indicator, I have been running lately all of my grill blocks in and I have enjoyed one tank of significant gains that you can see on my vibe fuel log, the next tank will be even better. I do have one side folded open just to limit fan operation. (fan starts at 95 degree c, my highway driving forces me to open the block)

However I think the mileage improvement is more attributable to the sudden increase and nearly constant coolant temperature of 95 to 98 degrees C. and my IAT is now nearly 20 degrees C over ambient. My quick calculation is 2.5% benefit.

It actually has me thinking about a way to have the air flow automatically regulated that ensures coolant temperature of 95 degree C, but I do need a means of forcing air into the radiator as required.

My car has a large opening between the lower front bumper cover and the lower radiator support.

May sound crazy but I want to install an inverted air scoop that is normally closed. A solenoid pushs it down and open when the fan starts. I am thinking if is just the right size the air will keep it open at highway speed which will prevent the fan from short cycling. As the car slows down the scoop will close hopefully when engine load is not so high.

I could wire in a self latching relay that remains closed when the fan stops and install a thermoswitch that opens the circuit at a lower temperature say 90 - 93 degrees.