View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008, 11:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
krugbug
EcoModding Lurker

N/A - '97 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 39.53 mpg (US)
I set my baseline MPG at 31 with a little bit of testing. I ran two tanks like I normally would: traveling ~70 mph and never coasting or turning the car off. I also just completed my first tank with improved driving habits and I am proud to say that with no alterations to the car (and having to drive about 40 miles with an extra 700 lbs at one point) I made it to 37.6 MPG! I think with a little practice and refinement I can get it above 40 before I even start modifying my car's aerodynamics.

I'm going to be doing a grill block first. But before I can let myself start taping the front of my car, I want to know how much it improves from the modification. So, I plan on running through at least three tanks with me driving very efficiently so I can find a normal point for my car. Then, I'll tape off the front of it. I don't imagine just a grill block will increase my FE a ton but I want to experiment with the airflow through the radiator and see how big the opening needs to be so I don't overheat the engine.