Thread: rusEfi: DIY ECU
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2014, 12:47 AM   #31 (permalink)
P-hack
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
too many projects (and microcontroller manufacturers), got a three phase controller kit to assemble (through hole BTW), and a motorcycle to convert to EV. Plus developing a distributed and cheap BMS, still need to sort out a cost effective charger. The gas stuff is gonna have to wait, though I could do a custom ECU on my 95 civic without worrying too much about the environ police, maybe, someday.

Oh, one other point about through-hole, breadboards. I imagine if the EE guys did all the design they might not think about the end users of a kit much. They probably just say "hey joe, make this pcb for me and throw it in the reflux oven" everyday. Or they send it to the in-house bot.

Someday everyone will probably have to go all SMD, but not this day

Oh, btw, for something like a vehicle with all kinds of kookie sensors and controls, cypress has some interesting offerings, it is sort-of FPGA(called psoc), but gobs of op-amps/comparators/logic gates/com etc surrounding an M3 core, with up to 62 20 bit ADC (4 in parallel). I know you are going the modular route (which is another kit detractor, did I buy all the right stuff?), but with PSoc I would think the number of external components could really be trivial, and modules become firmware/configuration with enough spare drivers on the mainboard. It isn't as communication intense as that stm, but who needs ethernet in a moving car? It does have can/usb/etc, and lots of "real world" interfacing options that might be better suited to the task at hand though. Just fyi, I don't know how much of a PITA they are to configure or anything, but glancing the datasheet is interesting.

Apparently you have to roll your own btoa though But I'm not sure adding an operating system is the better option either

Last edited by P-hack; 04-10-2014 at 01:00 AM..