View Single Post
Old 04-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #831 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
I haven't done the board yet, but... hmm. It can be remarkably similar to the DC controller for the power section. Actually, the power section would be identical in every stinking way. ONLY switching is different. So.... I could get most of a bill of materials together, but I need to know the size of the new control/driver board, so I can figure out the size of the aluminum base plate.

I think there are 3 beta testers. Do you guys want to start with a certain amount of money, and then I order things, and if I need a little extra at the end, then I beg and plead for it? haha.

It will hopefully be a > 200kW inverter. But you will have to provide for the cooling. I don't have a cheap way to mill channels in that large of a base plate. It will cost similar to the DC controller, which, due to the setup fee of 4 layer boards, and getting things in small quantities, was probably in the ball park of $775. So, $850 would be a guess for this one, since the control/driver board will have 6 isolated supplies instead of 1.. I know that's a lot to pay for a prototype.