View Single Post
Old 04-13-2014, 07:28 AM   #339 (permalink)
JB3
EcoModding Lurker

Work Van - '89 Chevrolet Astro
90 day: 28.43 mpg (US)

240D - '83 mercedes 240D
My take-

I do a lot of various hauling (property management and repair, you would not believe how many tube tvs ive had to get rid of as an example).

I started out with a truck, but trucks are specific use ,and like said early in the thread, while good for some things, come up short in others. After going through a lot of different pickups small and large, i started switching over to vans, which has more versatility as far as load and security and much more efficient load space layout, but then i lost the high load capability.
Thats when i bought a small trailer to handle things like an upright fridge, and so on. However, sometimes that trailer was too small, i was eating through tires and replacing bearigs a lot, and when you are not using it, it needs to be stashed as its easily stolen.

My advice is find out where the closest uhaul is. I on average rent a trailer for 10 to 20 bucks once a month for single use applications. I choose trailer size and type for each application, open or closed. Uhaul maintains them, and i have not found a single private owned trailer that comes close to the HD way uhaul trailers are constructed, they are incredibly durable.

This way i dont have to worry about maintenance, registration, storage, or not having just the right trailer for the job. All i have to worry about is availability, which i havent had much of a problem with on the smaller trailers.

If you are near a uhaul, i say dont even bother buying a trailer, renting is easier
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JB3 For This Useful Post:
user removed (04-13-2014), Xringer (04-13-2014)