View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 11:32 AM   #25 (permalink)
brucepick
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs25942 View Post
Kammback...

Build-I started with a large area of 2mm thick coroplast and cut it until it looked and fit perfectly. I then put a rectangular 10mm thick piece of coroplast in the middle of the Kammback underneath the 2mm to add rigidity. I framed the rectangular piece with aluminum angle as well. I then put the ABS and PVC on last. At the end of the Kammback is another frame to really solidify it. This can be seen in one of the pics. Many small bolts go through all layers of plastic to bond it all together. Total weight it about 20 lbs. ...
Great work. Thanks for sharing.

I had a somewhat similar Kamm on my Civic, RIP. I'm considering doing this again on my current DD, a '96 Accord DX sedan.

I always have detail questions, so here goes:

The basic shell is 2 mm coroplast, right? It looks like a sharper bend than coroplast would allow. Did it crease when you forced the bend, or how did that go? Did you heat or knife-slit the coroplast so it would bend? I assume you ran the coroplast channels front to rear.

What size is the 10 mm. thick coroplast rectangle? You actually found 10 mm coroplast? Or did you duct-tape layers together like I would do?

You don't have a genius way to open the trunk without removing the Kamm, do you?

Duct tape hint:
I use 3M's Tough duct tape, which is labeled as being non-residue. The fine print says you can leave it on 6 months and peel it off with no residue. I took mine off after 1.5 years, it had some residue but not a nasty mess like regular duct tape leaves behind. It has a very dark kahki green color. Too bad it's not black, would be perfect for your car! It costs about $11/roll but is excellent stuff.

The Following User Says Thank You to brucepick For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-16-2014)