View Single Post
Old 04-15-2014, 07:19 PM   #144 (permalink)
JohnAh
EcoModding Apprentice

Phantom Blot (Spökplumpen in swedish) - '75 Saab 96 V4
90 day: 52.77 mpg (US)
Don't remember if I have added something to this thread before.
This reverse trike project is similar to what I've been thinking about for many years. I love odd vehicles with a particular feel for three-wheelers. I have had my little Heinkel Kabine -59 for many years, it's also a reversed trike with a car-lik body, but much smaller than Groundflyer's Honda.

Here in Europe we seems to have regulations that say if track width on a trike is narrower than 465 millimeters (you have to check this carefully) the wheel pairs counts as a single wheel. The italian scooter-MC Piaggio MP3 are built in two different models, one on each side of the track width limit. Some people like to have a vehicle considered a 2-wheel motorcycle by law while people with only a driving license for ordinary passenger cars can drive the wider MP3 legaly.

If there's something about this track width thing, and it's also valid forTexas, why not put two rear wheels as a narrow pair on a common swing arm in the rear? This would not only improve stability but also be a life saver in case of a sudden flat tyre...

The little Heinkel Kabine was originally designed with a narrow pair in the rear, only 180mm track width. After only a year or two the production was moved from Germany to Ireland and then to England. The narrow pair of rear wheels were then changed to a single wheel only because of road taxes and classifications that made a true three-wheeler much cheaper. Germany didn't have the same rules as Great brittain and us here in Sweden as well as other parts of scandinavia.

Last edited by JohnAh; 04-15-2014 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: typos (can't do much about my english though...)