Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2014, 11:34 AM   #141 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well car is still going slow.. Got the rear under carriage close. Its 25 outside and 30 mph winds So i'm in for the day Also collected most materials to finish.
And just board with it at this time.
I did pick up a test car or parts car
I car see all the CRX guys now a 1988 crx hf bone stock that I can do testing for the trike. Pics has Dome in it

As for the rear tire I was looking for low rolling resistance. I healthy man 180lbs can pick up the rear a few in. That is with out fuel and driver

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cr 001.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	14518   Click image for larger version

Name:	cr 002.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	14519   Click image for larger version

Name:	cr 004.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	14520  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-27-2014, 12:47 PM   #142 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Civics Lesson - '02 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 33.38 mpg (US)
Oh c'mon man it's -17 with 10-15 mph winds here, and I'm out delivering mail... ;-) That is a nice looking'parts car' 'though... Keep us posted when you do some more to it!
Old 01-29-2014, 09:50 PM   #143 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Those tail lights though. Looking to sell them?
Seriously, why not fix the parts car too. It does not look too bad on the outside.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:19 PM   #144 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Phantom Blot (Spökplumpen in swedish) - '75 Saab 96 V4
90 day: 52.77 mpg (US)
Don't remember if I have added something to this thread before.
This reverse trike project is similar to what I've been thinking about for many years. I love odd vehicles with a particular feel for three-wheelers. I have had my little Heinkel Kabine -59 for many years, it's also a reversed trike with a car-lik body, but much smaller than Groundflyer's Honda.

Here in Europe we seems to have regulations that say if track width on a trike is narrower than 465 millimeters (you have to check this carefully) the wheel pairs counts as a single wheel. The italian scooter-MC Piaggio MP3 are built in two different models, one on each side of the track width limit. Some people like to have a vehicle considered a 2-wheel motorcycle by law while people with only a driving license for ordinary passenger cars can drive the wider MP3 legaly.

If there's something about this track width thing, and it's also valid forTexas, why not put two rear wheels as a narrow pair on a common swing arm in the rear? This would not only improve stability but also be a life saver in case of a sudden flat tyre...

The little Heinkel Kabine was originally designed with a narrow pair in the rear, only 180mm track width. After only a year or two the production was moved from Germany to Ireland and then to England. The narrow pair of rear wheels were then changed to a single wheel only because of road taxes and classifications that made a true three-wheeler much cheaper. Germany didn't have the same rules as Great brittain and us here in Sweden as well as other parts of scandinavia.

Last edited by JohnAh; 04-15-2014 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: typos (can't do much about my english though...)
Old 04-15-2014, 07:24 PM   #145 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Phantom Blot (Spökplumpen in swedish) - '75 Saab 96 V4
90 day: 52.77 mpg (US)
The Piaggio MP3 reverse trike scooter:

As you can se it has three wheels, not four, but that's not my point here.
What I'm talking about is that the two wheels in the front counts as one if the track width is below a certain limit. I think that limit is 465mm or so in Europe.

I guess a single wheel is always one, no matter how fat and wide it is. Putting two wheels tight together on a common hub (like on heavy trucks) should also count as one. I would definitely prefere this before a single tyre and a fat single tyre before a thin one. The single rear wheel is probably what worries me most when i drive my little Heinkel in high speed. -If it blows it's probably goodnight...

Last edited by JohnAh; 04-15-2014 at 07:31 PM..
Old 04-16-2014, 12:45 AM   #146 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAh View Post
If there's something about this track width thing, and it's also valid forTexas, why not put two rear wheels as a narrow pair on a common swing arm in the rear? This would not only improve stability but also be a life saver in case of a sudden flat tyre...
That's a good point.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:23 AM   #147 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Google says 465 millimeters =~18". I doubt they parse the regulation so finely in Texas, but who knows.

I went looking for the [first] 4th Dymaxion that R. B. Fuller designed for Henry J. Kaiser. But the only picture I can find is this one:

...where it looks like it has radial gas engines. There exists an isometric drawing Bucky did in the 40s showing it with electric motors in each hub with a wheel on both ends of the electric motor's shaft.

Interestingly, when I asked Google to show me images, the second row showed the above, from when I posted it in this thread from HydroJim titled Reverse Trike, here.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:18 PM   #148 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
back bottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundflyer View Post
The back slope will be a stock CRX but the sides are coming in about 6" a side... The bottom back is were I need help. There is a flow image at the bottom I working on
never can get the flow 2 program to work only 1 so if any one can do one Would help. The car is very low so plan on raising some and some air shocks for a rear adjustable height. a little fine tune maybe And remove the sharp corners off the rear of the car when the deck lid is open were it has the HF emblem.

groundflyer (04-17-2014), HHOTDI (01-16-2019), pgfpro (04-20-2014)
Old 07-04-2014, 10:19 AM   #149 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Leaf on the Wind - '13 Nissan Leaf
Has any progress been made on this? I love the concept and the direction it looks like it's going.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #150 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

No not much I'm driving the light blue HF a few pics back daily . My plan is using the blue car as a parts car for it. It has rust in bad places wheel well but the car has nice insides A/C leather seats good body parts and a few more parts And the rest I may sell when done. I have finished the fair and rear floor off the car.

Reply  Post New Thread