View Single Post
Old 04-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #207 (permalink)
christofoo
Master EcoModder

00C - '00 Toyota Corolla
90 day: 43.54 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Welcome to the Exploding Kamm-back Club.
It is a good thing that it didn't end any more awkward than it did.Now,thanks to your report,we have some important and critical DIY fabrication knowledge.That's a clear victory.
And your mpg is impressive.
I'd say,that we all came out ahead.
Thanks for soldiering on with the project,and sticking it out through all the warts and moles of it.
I've collected photos of the before 'explosive deconstruction' configuration and they'll be viewed by the North Texas Renewable Energy Group this May.
Thanks for all you've done and continue to do at the University of Hard Knocks.
I'd love to hear more about your NTREG presentation - are you a member? Have any TX policy-makers been attracted to the group? Any comments you get on the presentation would interest me. Naturally I have higher resolution photos if you want them, harass me about it and I'll zip them up and send them your way. I'm honored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Ouch! I've had that happen carrying hollow-core doors on a clip-on roof rack—twice. The load was lashed to the rack and the whole thing flew off. The 2nd time was right downtown @ 35-40mph, so I know about the embarrassment.

So what's the solution? Stronger hinges on the roof? Jeep hood clamps at the rear sides?
I was thinking about the solution on the drive back yesterday (... next post ...). Maybe I'll recycle the nylon coated hooks previously used to to strap the AHB to the trunk's front lip. Now I'll run a strap between the Kammback frame and the trunk's bottom lip. I might even have all that hardware lying around. Cruel irony - I was thinking about doing this during Kammback design, at some point I decided the Kammback's own weight was adequate, and it seemed like the hooks would have been a pain - they would drop off when slack - but really, it doesn't take that much extra effort to include a strap retainer somewhere to keep the hooks from falling when the strap is slack.

Last edited by christofoo; 04-28-2014 at 03:29 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to christofoo For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-07-2022)