View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 08:30 PM   #27 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
In the recent past,this would net you carbon monoxide poisoning.With newer,cleaner engines this may not be as big an issue,however,you would still be inviting the the outdoors in and from the direction of your own exhaust pipe.I have carried large items in a hatchback which necessitated propping the hatch open,and I suffered every mile 'til I got to my destination.The reason the cowl is used for a ventilation inlet is that it is at a relatively high static pressure ( NASCAR teams breathe their engines from here ) and the air source is away from the tailpipes of the car in front of you.Engineers try to cite the air outlet such that a relatively constant pressure differential is present across the cabin,rather than building into a hurricane draft,as speed increases.They're thinking air changes more than evaporative cooling.I've used auxiliary electric fans to increase air velocity across me.The proliferation of air conditioning has turned ventilation design away from passive,to forced air systems.Kinda hard to modify.
That has been the problem -- the rubber seal between the engine and vent inlet has deteriorated over time and draws-in hot air. When the valve cover gasket was oozing oil and toasted on the block and header, the "aroma" wasn't the best Since that's fixed, my next project may be to repair the seal and invest in a fan.

If I crack the passenger window and turn the air on recirc, I can get some decent air movement. Even with the recirc off, at highway speeds there's plenty of air movement -- even with the blower in the "off" position -- but it's hot air.

But alas, it's A/C season for a while unless I'm not doing work-related stuff.

RH77

_
_