View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 10:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
snakester
hypermiler

Yota - '08 Toyota Yaris 4 door
Team Toyota
90 day: 43.67 mpg (US)

BarbieQ - '97 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 41.18 mpg (US)
Hi from Colorful Colorado

Hey there, I'm brand new on this forum and to hypermiling but loving it so far.
I drive a '08 Toyota Yaris 4 door sedan with a 5sp. manual transmission. My daily commute takes me 35 miles one way from the mountain to the city to work. My car gets really good mileage already, about 40 in the winter and as high as 45 in the summer. My goal is to consistently get in the +50mpg range by using hypermiling techniques and simple modifications and with advice from you experienced folks.
So currently my road is under construction near my house, and to get to the highway I have to go uphill for a mile, but once on the Highway I have a 4 mile downhill run. The last two days I've coasted it engine off EOC, which is pretty fun but I pick up a lot of speed and must use engine braking with the transmission either in 5th or 4th gear to stay in control. Then near the bottom I coast in neutral as far as I can before starting the engine again. Okay so while the engine is off, the odometer is not recording miles. Any suggestions? Does the ScanGuage work when the key is off? Secondly, am I damaging my transmission by coasting in gear with the engine off when it is cold? It doesn't seem like it.
I guess I could simply add 5 EOC miles per day to the total miles driven when I calculate my MPG at my next fill-up.
Anyway, thanks for having me. It's great to be here.