View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 12:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dremd View Post
II was taught in high school that surge suppressors essentially jumped one leg to another. (THIS DOES NOT MEAN IT IS TRUE) . So if that's the case why couldn't you (we) disassemble surge suppressors and place a suge "unit" or several between each line and neutral. May just be a crazy idea, but if true then you could have hole house surge suppression at ecomodder pricing.
First, I did some research on surge protectors. No consumer-grade surge suppression system can protect against a lightning strike. The suggestion is to unplug the item. My Grandparents did that in the 70's when the big-ticket items were the TV and Toaster Oven -- not too practical today.

But what about rogue downstream surges from lightning? So far they've taken out random items around the house over the last 3 years.

Apparently the guts of a surge suppressor could be wired up to the hot and ground at the outlet like this diagram. The trick would be to maintain the fuse or have easy access to it. If wired properly, this could likely be doable -- I'd have to take apart a surge strip to see what goes on in there. It might all be "in-line" instead of per-plug.

-RH77

_
_