View Single Post
Old 05-08-2014, 12:20 AM   #65 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD

Pacifica Hybrid - '21 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
90 day: 85.85 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,460 Times in 3,426 Posts
The only car I've owned without assisted brakes was a '69 Beetle. I don't recall the brakes being difficult or dangerous. I could lock the brakes up on dry pavement without a problem, so as far as I'm concerned, the brakes were as good as they could be.

When I EOC the TSX downhill for a long ways, using the brakes before the corners, I have to push very hard on the pedal. Often after starting the engine, my leg has learned to press hard, and I end up accidentally stopping in a hurry the next couple of times. My wife will ask what the lurching stop was all about, and I can only laugh and say my leg forgot how to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonas View Post
It didn't have the parking brake working. It went out of adjustment all the time, so they finally gave up and only fixed it before inspection. It is an old car, built in 1989.
I had to look at where you are from after reading that you had to fix the parking brake for inspection. These things aren't inspected in the U.S., and in Oregon, a person can re-title a car that had previously been involved in a wreck that totaled it, without a safety inspection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
...tort lawyers became a highly influential part of the fabric of American society, and before the days when a cup of hot coffee was seen as a ticket to a generous six figure court settlement. That was back in the days before social welfare, when being an educated driver meant not doing anything stupid, [I]because stupidity didn't pay.
The original lawsuit was for $20k, which McDonalds refused to pay. A jury later awarded Liebeck $2.86 million, and a judge reduced that amount to $640,000.

Watch Hot Coffee if you are interested in the story. Many people change their opinion once seeing the film. I did not (the lawsuit was frivolous).

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!