Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2014, 11:42 AM   #61 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahPete View Post
Last thing we need is more regulation.
Yes! Regulate our regulation!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-07-2014, 12:07 PM   #62 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
I can't remember a car where you could lock the column without shifting to park, except my 1937 Ford.

regards
Mech
Strange, considering that I've never owned a car where you could shift to Park :-) And I'm having real trouble visualing how such an interlock would work.

Last edited by jamesqf; 05-07-2014 at 12:17 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (05-07-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 03:32 PM   #63 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I'm pretty regular without regulation.

regards
Mech
Old 05-07-2014, 08:49 PM   #64 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Strange, considering that I've never owned a car where you could shift to Park :-) And I'm having real trouble visualing how such an interlock would work.
Apparently you are young. Back in 'the bad old days' before safety interlocks became legally mandatory on all power equipment, you could shift an A/T into any gear at will. Simple power machines like lawnmowers also had no safety interlocks at all.

That was before tort lawyers became a highly influential part of the fabric of American society, and before the days when a cup of hot coffee was seen as a ticket to a generous six figure court settlement. That was back in the days before social welfare, when being an educated driver meant not doing anything stupid, because stupidity didn't pay.

IMHO, the bad old days weren't really so bad. Back then we didn't need have opportunistic idiots yearning to collect $$$ from the legal system for their own willful acts, and invoking ever more stringent government mandates to protect us from our own stupidity.

Old Mech said:
Quote:
If you make cars idiot proof then you will generate a greater population of even more idiotic people.
Yes, that is true, and that is considered by some to be progress.

Last edited by XYZ; 05-07-2014 at 08:56 PM..
Old 05-08-2014, 12:20 AM   #65 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
The only car I've owned without assisted brakes was a '69 Beetle. I don't recall the brakes being difficult or dangerous. I could lock the brakes up on dry pavement without a problem, so as far as I'm concerned, the brakes were as good as they could be.

When I EOC the TSX downhill for a long ways, using the brakes before the corners, I have to push very hard on the pedal. Often after starting the engine, my leg has learned to press hard, and I end up accidentally stopping in a hurry the next couple of times. My wife will ask what the lurching stop was all about, and I can only laugh and say my leg forgot how to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonas View Post
It didn't have the parking brake working. It went out of adjustment all the time, so they finally gave up and only fixed it before inspection. It is an old car, built in 1989.
I had to look at where you are from after reading that you had to fix the parking brake for inspection. These things aren't inspected in the U.S., and in Oregon, a person can re-title a car that had previously been involved in a wreck that totaled it, without a safety inspection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
...tort lawyers became a highly influential part of the fabric of American society, and before the days when a cup of hot coffee was seen as a ticket to a generous six figure court settlement. That was back in the days before social welfare, when being an educated driver meant not doing anything stupid, [I]because stupidity didn't pay.
The original lawsuit was for $20k, which McDonalds refused to pay. A jury later awarded Liebeck $2.86 million, and a judge reduced that amount to $640,000.

Watch Hot Coffee if you are interested in the story. Many people change their opinion once seeing the film. I did not (the lawsuit was frivolous).

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 05-08-2014, 12:34 AM   #66 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Mazda 626 - '80 Mazda 626 Base
Over here, the car has to be "original". That can even mean door handles have to work. At least they don't check locks. And they obviously haven't opened some of the doors. One door sags an inch or so and either has to be slammed with brute force or lifted up before being pushed toward the latch.

In the end, our inspection system is one of the most rigid in the EU. What it really means is, "We'll make it hard to impossible to pass inspection unless you give me some money or know my relatives or know my buddy who makes all the 'arrangements'."

I've thought of starting my own file on all the inspectors and then looking at their Facebook pages. As soon as he wants to write down something that doesn't involve safety, I'll mention something like, "Does you daughter still go to _______ school?" or "The boss is on the other side of the door, and would be interested in seeing such a rare antique." Most people wouldn't do such absurd things if they had the accountability to be logical.Life is all one big game over here.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:46 AM   #67 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Over here, the car has to be "original". That can even mean door handles have to work.
You mean you don't see cars like this at the local grocery store?

I stumbled upon this beauty while getting groceries one day and just had to take a couple pictures. Personally, I'd have welded the doors shut and jumped in Dukes of Hazard style.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 05-08-2014 at 02:58 AM..
Old 05-08-2014, 06:30 AM   #68 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

UFI - '12 Fiat 500 Twinair
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)

Jeep - '05 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
90 day: 18.09 mpg (US)

R32 - '89 Nissan Skyline

STiG - '16 Renault Trafic 140dCi Energy
90 day: 30.12 mpg (US)

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 50.25 mpg (US)

Premodded - '49 Ford Freighter
90 day: 13.48 mpg (US)

F-117 - '10 Proton Arena GLSi
Pickups
Mitsubishi
90 day: 37.82 mpg (US)

Ralica - '85 Toyota Celica ST
90 day: 25.23 mpg (US)

Sx4 - '07 Suzuki Sx4
90 day: 32.21 mpg (US)

F-117 (2) - '03 Citroen Xsara VTS
90 day: 30.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Over here, the car has to be "original". That can even mean door handles have to work.
It's so first responders can get the occupants out in case of an accident. That is logical.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:05 AM   #69 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Mazda 626 - '80 Mazda 626 Base
Logical--YES, if the government is responsible for all of your safety

Logical--NO, if you are responsible for your safety. I think a passenger should not ride in a car that is not safe by his evaluation. So, then the driver is only responsible for his safety when it comes to vehicle failure. The exception is that the driver should be responsible for children who can't evaluate such things.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:18 AM   #70 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Over here, the car has to be "original". That can even mean door handles have to work. At least they don't check locks. And they obviously haven't opened some of the doors. One door sags an inch or so and either has to be slammed with brute force or lifted up before being pushed toward the latch.

In the end, our inspection system is one of the most rigid in the EU. What it really means is, "We'll make it hard to impossible to pass inspection unless you give me some money or know my relatives or know my buddy who makes all the 'arrangements'."

I've thought of starting my own file on all the inspectors and then looking at their Facebook pages. As soon as he wants to write down something that doesn't involve safety, I'll mention something like, "Does you daughter still go to _______ school?" or "The boss is on the other side of the door, and would be interested in seeing such a rare antique." Most people wouldn't do such absurd things if they had the accountability to be logical.Life is all one big game over here.
Take a piece of wood, like a 2x4 place it under the door lengthwise. Use a second longer 2x4 for a lever and pull up to spring the hinges so the door will close properly. Do this from the outside, with the door almost closed, just open enough to for both 2x4s to fit.

regards
Mech

Reply  Post New Thread