View Single Post
Old 05-09-2014, 08:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Sjoegerd
EcoModding Lurker

Peugeot 206 1.4 HDi - '02 Peugeot 206
Last 3: 47.49 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
You'll get there far too soon

As you get better at estimating your coasting distance, your fuel use will drop.

Don't stay in 1st or 2nd gear in a traffic jam - it uses too much fuel.
Try to avoid 1st at all, unless for starting from a stop, and use 2nd and coasting.

Once the engine is thoroughly warm, you can use some really high gear when the engine doesn't have to work hard.

I'm doing 30km/h in 4th , 45-50 in 5th with a 1L engine .
Works well as long as it's flat, shouldn't be much of a problem in the Netherlands. I Don't accelerate in these gears though - the li'l car will pull it off, but I can hear and feel it doesn't like it much.

In city driving, my fuel consumption drops or stays the same now - before joining ecomodder, it always skyrocketed during city driving.
Pulsing briefly and then coasting is extremely effective in city driving.
Thanks for your reply! It is always worth the effort to try tips from other users .

I find it hard to use hypermiling tips in the dense traffic. If you leave gaps to make sure you don't have to stop, other drivers fill them up so you have to brake and accelerate again. Also with coasting towards roundabouts and traffic lights. I have the feeling that I'm disrupting the "traffic flow". I get tailgated almost all the time in such conditions.