Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2014, 02:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Peugeot 206 1.4 HDi - '02 Peugeot 206
Last 3: 47.49 mpg (US)
Greetings from the Netherlands!

Hi everyone!

My name is Sjoerd, also known with my username Sjoegerd. At the moment I'm 23 years old and I drive a Peugeot 106 1.1i from 1994. With the high gas prices in my country I'm looking for ways to improve my milage on a low budget. I'm driving around 2000 kilometers each month and with an average of almost 17 kilometers for each liter (almost 40 mpg) of fuel I'm not doing that bad in my opinion .

I hope to learn a lot on this forum and I hope I can save some fuel

Greetings from the Netherlands,

Sjoegerd

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-29-2014, 03:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Welcome, Sjoerd!

The little Peugeot has a lot of potential.
Make sure you've read the 65+ efficiency mods and 100+ Hypermiling tips (see the page header).
Increase and monitor the tire pressure (make sure you have top quality tires - you'll earn back the premium in lower rolling resistance and better handling).
Keep in the right lane on the highway Speed kills economy, especially with small cars.
Get a partial grill block but monitor air intake temp - I used a cheap in/out digital thermometer with the sensor in the intake until I got an UltraGauge.
Instrumentation like that UltraGauge won't work as unfortunately your car is probably just too old to have an OBDII port, but check out the MPGuino project.

Most of all, keep a fuel log. Knowing you're improving is very motivating.
For me, it is a hobby now; one that saves me money to boot.

Cheers, Bart

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 04-29-2014 at 03:14 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
Sjoegerd (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 03:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Welcome to the site. Check out the 100+ Hypermiling list and 65+ mods list links at the top . It sounds like you're off to a good start.
Sjoegerd (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 03:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi Bart,

Thanks for your comment
I keep a fuel log in Excel, just got the car about a month ago so it is easier to keep up.
Tyre pressure is already at 2.5 bar, and most of the time I don't exceed 100 km/h.
A grill block is not that handy for these engines I think. There is no upper grille and these type of engines tend to overheat quick. Maybe it is an option for the winter
The car is not OBDII equiped and instrumentation is kinda expensive for my income but I wil keep it in mind.
In the meantime I will try the hypermiling tips and make sure the car is in good shape.

Greetings, Sjoegerd
Old 05-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
The 106 is a nice project car, either for a pocket-rocket or a penny-pincher's commuter.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have a new record! Just did a fillup today and achieved 19,3 km for one liter of fuel. That is about 44,5 mpg I guess? I used some of the hypermiling tips because it's hard to fit in all with a lot of trafficjams and such. I used the coasting in neutral towards roundabouts, motorway exits and traffic lights, easy on the throttle and anticipation. In my opinion it is possible to achieve the 20 km/l mark and that will be my goal
Old 05-07-2014, 12:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Good going, Sjoegerd

I'm sure you can beat not only 20 km/l, but even 25 with some aeromods (engine undertray, Kammback) and advanced techniques (EOC).

We are thinking about whether to get a Pug 106 for the wife if it turns out she will need to commute by car. Two main factors are that it is light and that the rear hatch is ideal for attaching a Kammback. Is your transmission a 4-speed or 5-speed?

I'm not sure if your commute will permit it, but I've found that leaving the car at home and biking saves a lot of fuel

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 05-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Good going, Sjoegerd

I'm sure you can beat not only 20 km/l, but even 25 with some aeromods (engine undertray, Kammback) and advanced techniques (EOC).

We are thinking about whether to get a Pug 106 for the wife if it turns out she will need to commute by car. Two main factors are that it is light and that the rear hatch is ideal for attaching a Kammback. Is your transmission a 4-speed or 5-speed?

I'm not sure if your commute will permit it, but I've found that leaving the car at home and biking saves a lot of fuel
20 km/l should be possible I guess. Also I'm looking on the forums about aeromods but with almost no money to spare and limited free time it is not my priority. Unless it is easy and cheap to do. First I want to install a coolant temperature gauge because these engines tend to overheat.

The 106 is a great car for commuting in my opinion. Light, comfortable and great for in the city. Also with 100 km/h on the highway it's much less noisier than my previous car, the Citroën AX. The 106 is a 5-speed by the way

Using the bike saves hell of a lot of fuel! But with my school at 50 km, my work/learn place at 40 km and my girlfriend at 35 km it would be a lot of cycling. :P
Old 05-09-2014, 05:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoegerd View Post
I used the coasting in neutral towards roundabouts, motorway exits and traffic lights, easy on the throttle and anticipation. In my opinion it is possible to achieve the 20 km/l mark and that will be my goal
You'll get there far too soon

As you get better at estimating your coasting distance, your fuel use will drop.

Don't stay in 1st or 2nd gear in a traffic jam - it uses too much fuel.
Try to avoid 1st at all, unless for starting from a stop, and use 2nd and coasting.

Once the engine is thoroughly warm, you can use some really high gear when the engine doesn't have to work hard.

I'm doing 30km/h in 4th , 45-50 in 5th with a 1L engine .
Works well as long as it's flat, shouldn't be much of a problem in the Netherlands. I Don't accelerate in these gears though - the li'l car will pull it off, but I can hear and feel it doesn't like it much.

In city driving, my fuel consumption drops or stays the same now - before joining ecomodder, it always skyrocketed during city driving.
Pulsing briefly and then coasting is extremely effective in city driving.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
You'll get there far too soon

As you get better at estimating your coasting distance, your fuel use will drop.

Don't stay in 1st or 2nd gear in a traffic jam - it uses too much fuel.
Try to avoid 1st at all, unless for starting from a stop, and use 2nd and coasting.

Once the engine is thoroughly warm, you can use some really high gear when the engine doesn't have to work hard.

I'm doing 30km/h in 4th , 45-50 in 5th with a 1L engine .
Works well as long as it's flat, shouldn't be much of a problem in the Netherlands. I Don't accelerate in these gears though - the li'l car will pull it off, but I can hear and feel it doesn't like it much.

In city driving, my fuel consumption drops or stays the same now - before joining ecomodder, it always skyrocketed during city driving.
Pulsing briefly and then coasting is extremely effective in city driving.
Thanks for your reply! It is always worth the effort to try tips from other users .

I find it hard to use hypermiling tips in the dense traffic. If you leave gaps to make sure you don't have to stop, other drivers fill them up so you have to brake and accelerate again. Also with coasting towards roundabouts and traffic lights. I have the feeling that I'm disrupting the "traffic flow". I get tailgated almost all the time in such conditions.

Reply  Post New Thread