View Single Post
Old 05-12-2014, 11:06 AM   #16 (permalink)
some_other_dave
Master EcoModder

The car would not have come with nearly that much negative camber in the back. Since the camber isn't adjustable normally, I would guess that the car probably has been lowered. It might be from springs that are broken or even just sagging, or it might be that someone put lowering springs on it. It's not that uncommon for springs to break on older Civics--so it's worth checking.

The uneven camber makes me think that either the floor actually is uneven where you were measuring, or the car has been hit or curbed hard. Or you have some sort of odd measurement error. Worth looking at the suspension bits to see if anything is bent.

Finally, all that said you should not see excessive tire wear with 1.5 degrees of negative camber--as long as the toe angle is OK. If the wheels have toe-out in conjunction with negative camber, that's when you start getting lots of wear on the inner shoulder. Correct the toe, and you should see the tire wear get rather more reasonable.

My CRX had about 1.5 degrees negative camber all around from lowering it, and tire wear was pretty even the whole way around. Because the toe was in spec.

-soD