View Single Post
Old 01-05-2008, 05:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissimilation View Post
On the way down I got a surprise when my brakes lost power. Since then I have learned what a vacuum booster is and how it temporarily provides power to the brakes when the engine is shut off.
Did the vacuum go away because you were tapping the brakes here and there, or did it lose it over time with no braking?

I hope you also learned that you can still stop without assis - you just need to put your leg into it much harder. I'd recommend trying that sometime too - purposefully depleting the vac reserve on an empty road/lot and doing a couple of rapid stops. Just FYI.

Quote:
Now that I've been back in town and back to normal driving, I've refilled and I'm out to see just how high a milage I can do on one tank.
Woo! That's the spirit.

Quote:
Fun stuff! I definitely have been noticing when I take repetitive and familiar routes in my car I can be very accurate in my EOC and P&G timing, where I have a whole lot of practice to do to get such accuracy on unfamiliar roads.
Just like a race car driver will have lower lap times on a familiar track. Knowing the road helps immensely.

It is satisfying, with some practice in this style of driving, how you can develop the ability to look down a grade or a stretch of road towards a stop and are able to judge just when to get off the power to coast to a stop at the right spot.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget