View Single Post
Old 05-14-2014, 09:59 PM   #30 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Have someone follow you on the highway. Get up to 65 or whatever speed when the "shimmy" gets severe. The person following you should be able to see the tire-wheel that is hopping and causing the shimmy. It could be more than one tire-wheel. If it is on the front of the car move it to the rear. A shimmy is a rapid side to side oscillation of the steering wheel and usually not related to balance, but I'm thinking it may be a severe vibration that is related to and out of balance or out of round rotating component.

I don't enjoy getting information piecemeal, it makes trying to help anyone much more difficult. That being said, you are now in the position of having a car with an obvious defect and probably no recourse, even with California's consumer oriented laws concerning dealers and vehicles.

I've been there and it's a helpless and stressful situation. Try the latest suggestion. I have been in a similar position and if the "shimmy is balance or damaged tire related and it is severe enough, then it should be visible to someone who knows what to look for.
Nothing was mentioned about the bent rims after two shops "balanced" them. I just stopped when I saw a damaged tire or bent rim, and called the customer to offer them the chance to see the problem, since charging them for a balance was wasting their money.

Nothing has been offered as information that might be related to the damage being done to the exiting tires, but if that is the case and the tires are the same ones that were on the rims when the impact occured then you could have a damaged tire that has not been replaced.

Bottom line is have some one follow you and see if they can actually see the wheel hopping that is causing your shimmy. If they can do that then you KNOW that wheel is the source of your problem, at least the major source. Put the spare on in place of that wheel and try it again.

regards
Mech