View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 06:53 PM   #24 (permalink)
azraelswrd
Mr. Blue Tape

AzxA - '06 Scion xA
90 day: 42.72 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula413 View Post
I saw a little device in a video recently that teaches the driver how to save fuel. It's a little box with LEDs that mounts on the dash, and the LEDs light up red if the driver accelerates or decelerates too quickly, thus teaching the driver how to drive more efficiently. I've searched and searched and can't find this thing anywhere, has anyone seen this thing? I would like to suggest this to people I know who are pretty much clueless as to how to drive efficiently, I think it would prove very helpful.
Sorry for being late to the party but the Digital Fuel Mizer might be the item in question. I remember seeing it a while back when I was looking up info on the scangauge and vacuum gauges. Not sure how effective it is but it's cheaper than a SGII and requires no looking (since it also beeps at you besides the flashing).

In this article, I think the boiling hot cup of open coffee in the cup holder or between the legs might be an even easier motivator for controlled accelerations/deccelerations. But from the article I read on Ben's other site about accelerating and FE, slow and steady isn't always the best bang for the MPG.

Without a doubt, experimentation and practice seem to be the order for the day... and burning cups of coffee to the groin for the more adventurous.

My 5 pillars of fuel efficiency:
  • driving style
  • aerodynamics
  • tires
  • weight reduction
  • engine maintenance