View Single Post
Old 05-19-2014, 04:22 PM   #296 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
crosswind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
On the subject of crosswind instability, my idea is to have a group of "gills" in the remaining part of the rear end, the opposite of louvers you see on hoods of the hot rods that protrude above the level of the sheet metal, I think they should protrude below the surface of the sheet metal. Air intake for the radiator probably from the bottom right in front of the engine, with a baffle to deflect water and debris down and away from the radiator opening. I'm still open to thoughts and suggestions about this. The bike had a temperature gauge so I should be able to monitor cooling system temperatures and control the cooling air inlet size to minimize air flow disruption while not risking overheating. Radiator heat will also be utilized for cabin heat in cold temperatures, while Catalytic converter heat will provide preheating of the engines intake air.

regards
Mech
In 'The Leading Edge,' Goro Tamai commented on tests MIT did in their solar racing car program.
*He said that a streamline body in free flight is incapable of producing lift.
*As a half-body,simple attention to body inclination is all that's necessary to produce a zero-lift body within ground proximity.
*Fins/rear wheel fairings can be utilized to move the center of pressure aft of the center of gravity to balance or bias yaw moments.(The GM/AeroVironment Sunraycer used a series of fins for this)
*In crosswind and especially gusts,a simple spine down the roof/aft-body centerline,is effective in killing any crosswind lift.
I feel like the tadpole will be very stable.We've had pretty horrific winds around here and the T-100 is very manageable.Nothing squirrely,no surprises.
ecoTex (05-20-2014), user removed (05-19-2014)