View Single Post
Old 05-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #108 (permalink)
COcyclist
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 52.55 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbota View Post
I own an Audi A4 diesel, 96 KW, and being new here I am very interested which are the best methods to increase fuel, hypermiling especially in city. I use to downhill on my trip to work in the morning, when the car is not warm. Which is the best method to coast: in gear or neutral?
It depends on whether you need to use the brakes or if you can coast onto a flat stretch. If you would be using the brakes, use engine braking as much as you can. The VW/Audis use no fuel during engine braking. If you can coast then coast in neutral (I leave the engine on) and get 400 mpg U.S. while coasting at highway speeds. If the hill is steep enough I may alternate between the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbota View Post
It is worthy to put something in front of the radiator, even in the spring-summer time?
Yes. I have had the upper grill blocked year round since I bought the car. There seems to be more than enough cooling airflow from the lower grills.

In the city I accelerate fairly briskly to get up to speed and coast in neutral. At 30 mph the VW coasts forever and hardly loses momentum. Keep your tire pressure to the maximum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.

Last edited by COcyclist; 05-21-2014 at 10:44 AM..