View Single Post
Old 05-21-2014, 02:15 PM   #63 (permalink)
sarguy01
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmclosson View Post
Really interested in improving my MPG on my 2006 Dodge Mega Cab. I saw down below that the CD on my truck was .44, I'm assuming that b/c I put 33's on it that it's worse now. I have a 6 ft bed and was thinking of doing the half tonneau cover. If I was to build it, what would be the amount to leave exposed? Any other ideas to improve my whopping 9.3 mpg would greatly appreciated. (with my trailer and loaded, 6.2 mpg's) I'm going to be building a slope on the front of my trailer which should help. Let me know. Thanks.
Welcome! You should start your own thread to discuss your truck fully.

But, while we are here, there are a few things going against that Mega Cab (coming from a guy that owned three Dodge Trucks, a Durango and a Dakota). The big engine, heavy weight, 4x4 (assuming it's a 4x4), not aerodynamic and an automatic transmission all add up to that 9.3 mpg.

The 33's may be helping some, depending on the truck's gearing. But, if they are all terrain or off road tires, then they are probably hurting. When they wear out, consider getting a set of highway tires and fill them to their sidewall max.

Question...if you are using it to pull a trailer, I am assuming you use it for work?? Have you considered getting a second car (i.e. high mpg beater...) to drive when you don't need the truck? You will use far less gas in a 30-40 mpg car over that 9 mpg truck. Even driving 500 miles a month in the car (30 mpg) instead of the truck (9 mpg) will save $1,600 year in gas. The more you drive the car, the more you will save.