View Single Post
Old 05-21-2014, 11:29 PM   #75 (permalink)
cbaber
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Since my last update I've filled up 4 times, averaging 48.35 MPG. I ran the first tank without the o2 sensor hooked up (open loop) and managed 50 MPG amazingly. By the next tank I had installed my new NTK 24300 sensor which fixed all the stumble and misfire problems I had explained in the last update. So the car is running fine again, which means I can focus on breaking into the 50's on a regular basis.

What's weird is that with the new o2 sensor, I no longer enter lean burn without the EGR connected. The readings on the scangauge don't go near 0 anymore, instead staying around 68-76. I contribute that to my faulty EGR valve, which I still need to fix ($200). When I installed the new o2 sensor I reconnected the EGR, thinking I would try it to see what happens. I could feel it enter lean burn, and because the EGR valve is bad, the car stumbles because it should be getting exhaust gas and the MAP is trying to compensate. So I cannot drive it with EGR without the stumble issue.

I think my focus should be on finally getting a new EGR valve. I am going to take it apart this weekend to see if I can repair it, although I still can't figure out how to get to the bolts to take it apart (there are a few nuts holding the valve assembly together, but I can't access them with a standard wrench or pliers).