Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2014, 02:17 PM   #71 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
I was disappointed with the paint, it came out much more glossy than I had hoped. But you can't really even see it behind the grill, so it's not too big of a deal. I ended up attaching it by using long drywall screws through the plastic tabs, parallel to the coroplast. This locks the coroplast in, and holds it pretty well. I had to use some zip ties to secure the edges, otherwise wind would flex it too much. Then I used some electrical tape to seal off any gaps. Not sure how the tape will hold up, but it doesn't really support or hold anything in place so it's not critical.

I've started to work on a lower grill block as well, using the leftovers from the sign. I have just enough to cover the lower grill if I leave some open for the radiator. Not sure how I am going to approach this one yet. I need to take off the bumper to see if it can easily be installed behind the grill.

The Following User Says Thank You to cbaber For This Useful Post:
jedi_sol (04-11-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-12-2014, 01:57 PM   #72 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
50.53 MPG on the last tank. Time for a new goal!

Old 04-20-2014, 09:39 PM   #73 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Found a VTEC-E valve cover and installed it today:

Old 04-29-2014, 06:35 PM   #74 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Update: I'm having some problems with the Civic. It all started last week when my upper radiator hose burst open on the highway. After the repair I sprayed down the engine bay because of the coolant mess. After that it didn't run right. It stumbled during startup and bogged down under load. I solved the latter problem by disconnecting the O2 sensor, and a new NTK 24300 is on the way. But it still misfires and stumbles for a few seconds on startup. It reminds me of when my head gasket was leaking coolant into the cylinders, but it seems unlikely it would happen all of a sudden. I plan on replacing cap/rotor, plugs, and wires first because it needs them anyway.

MPG should suffer until I get it running perfect again. Hopefully I don't have to replace another head gasket.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:29 PM   #75 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Since my last update I've filled up 4 times, averaging 48.35 MPG. I ran the first tank without the o2 sensor hooked up (open loop) and managed 50 MPG amazingly. By the next tank I had installed my new NTK 24300 sensor which fixed all the stumble and misfire problems I had explained in the last update. So the car is running fine again, which means I can focus on breaking into the 50's on a regular basis.

What's weird is that with the new o2 sensor, I no longer enter lean burn without the EGR connected. The readings on the scangauge don't go near 0 anymore, instead staying around 68-76. I contribute that to my faulty EGR valve, which I still need to fix ($200). When I installed the new o2 sensor I reconnected the EGR, thinking I would try it to see what happens. I could feel it enter lean burn, and because the EGR valve is bad, the car stumbles because it should be getting exhaust gas and the MAP is trying to compensate. So I cannot drive it with EGR without the stumble issue.

I think my focus should be on finally getting a new EGR valve. I am going to take it apart this weekend to see if I can repair it, although I still can't figure out how to get to the bolts to take it apart (there are a few nuts holding the valve assembly together, but I can't access them with a standard wrench or pliers).

Old 01-11-2015, 11:43 PM   #76 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

RedVX92 - '92 honda civic vx
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaber View Post
Update to EGR Situation

The only issue is that my aftermarket O2 sensor is not performing well. The EGR system is a crucial part of the lean burn system on the HX motor. With it disconnected the car won't try to engage lean burn. With it connected again, it tries to enter lean burn. My low quality aftermarket O2 sensor cannot handle lean burn A/F ratio's, so the car stalls out and stumbles every time lean burn engages. I have to keep the EGR disconnected until I get a new OEM O2 sensor.

Bye bye $360
What was the brand, or where did you buy it? so we know which one is crap.

Reply  Post New Thread