View Single Post
Old 05-23-2014, 11:02 AM   #27 (permalink)
Astro
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Go back to living the true hunter gather lifestyle.
There is no where near enough acreage to support billions of hunter gatherers.
Unless you are including cannibalism as a valid hunter gatherer option.

No petrol powered vehicle can match a 100% electric vehicle recharged from solar for co2 emissions. Maybe we need Solar Roadways to improve the co2 rating of the grid?

Another benefit of a solar roadway or at least a roadway with embedded lights and some smarts to control them is that we could switch off the millions of street lights that burn all night long. The street lights light up streets when there is nobody there to benefit from the light. Imagine a roadway system where it automatically lit up the road in front of you making driving easier and safer. Then once you passed by the lights went out. Probably saving megawatts if not gigawatt's of electricity that could be used to recharge those 100% electric cars sitting in their garages overnight.
So no additional electricity required from the power stations yet the petrol stations can be switched off and the oil stops burning (at least the oil used for automotive fuel).

I imagine we have all seen the pictures of the night side of the Earth taken from space.
So many street lights that the whole country is visible from space. All done just in case there is a car travelling on that road.

Once the street lights are switched off the city sky glow will disappear and our kids will be able to see the stars again. (no not the Hollywood ones, the ones in the sky).
And i am not talking about a handful of stars, I mean seeing the night sky as can only currently be seen by travelling out into the middle of nowhere and looking up. Stars beyond counting, great waves of light cast across the night sky. Most people don't even know the stars are all different colours, they have never seen them when they are bright enough to trigger the colour receptors in their eyes. They just see them as white lights because against the city sky glow that is all you can see.

That's enough crazy ramblings from me for one night. Time for some sleep. Oh and by the way, i don't have to turn on a light to find my way around the house thanks to several street lights that burn all night for the two cars that travel down our street each night. Isn't that considerate.