View Single Post
Old 05-25-2014, 04:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
cbaber
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Got a honda del sol for free. What now?

I previously owned this car from 2008 to 2011 before selling it to family as a cheap commuter. After a couple years of use (and neglect) the car is no longer running or in good shape on the interior or exterior. It's been sitting in a driveway for over a year, and in exchange for hauling it off, I get the car back for free.

Here is my truck, a 1992 Chevrolet C1500, with the 1993 Honda Del Sol S loaded on a car dolly. I don't hypermile or track mileage on the truck because I only drive it when I need to haul things. I like red cars if you couldn't tell

Anyway, here is the car. As you can see it has the normal Honda rust on the quarters and rocker panels. Several large dents, hail damage, and some fading paint. It's not pretty, yet, but for free I can't really complain!

So what do you think should be done with this blank canvas? I was thinking building for max MPG. Obviously the Del Sol's main problem is aero. Otherwise it's a pretty light car (2200 lbs) compared to my HX (2400 lbs). My thoughts:

- D15Z1 VX motor or possibly D15B 3-stage VTEC
- My spare HX transmission with VX final drive
- HX or VX wheels (sell/trade current wheels)
- Fiberglass kammback, mirror delete, rear wheel covers, belly pan, grill block
- Lighten the car 100 lbs