View Single Post
Old 05-26-2014, 07:01 PM   #57 (permalink)
Burton
EcoModding Lurker

ZForce - '13 Zero motorcycles S ZF11.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminumwelder View Post
burton I think you are the type of person that likes to buy the best product once. I do that too, but for things I use infrequently I do realize I could of saved a lot of money if I had bought something more in tune with my needs.
You are correct sir. Even the things I use infrequently, like my $1600 D200 Nicon camera with 70-300 lense I appreciate at lot for the added features over other cheaper cameras. (bought it in 2007 if I recall and still use it a couple times a month or more) I still love this camera and likely will not replace it for a very long time.

Quote:
Yes 250dx has more features than a ahp alpha 200x, they are features you will probably never use.
Does the AHP have AC frequency control?
Not sure if I mentioned it here but I have plans to start farming and building a house in 5 years. It would be nice to be able to repair and build tools with whatever welder I choose.

Quote:
as far as warranties go, none of the chinese cheap welders have a good reputation on any welding forum, and none of them NOT even american companies pay for you to return gear, it's always on your dime.
Which is another reason to have the warranty I realize I won't be able to get the vendor to ship it back for me but thankfully I know enough about electrical engineering I can fix something myself if given parts.

In recent years it seems the reputation of the chinese welders has been going up as quality control has gotten better. Not saying it is a blue or red box which is "Assembled in America" but still

Quote:
My cheap $90 lincoln helmet goes dark on high frequency start as well. I've never had a headache from using it hours on end either. Lowes, and harbor freight have a 90 day return policy if you find out you do not like the helmet.
The other day I actually put my order in for the helmet and other general accessories or I would have tried it out. I might get one anyway as a 'buddy' helmet since they are so cheap.

Quote:
I've never used my air cooled torch so much that it was too hot to handle. The fact of the matter is when you are doing custom fabrication work, you spend 10% of the time welding and 90% of the time cleaning and positioning welds. Duty cycle is for people that are doing welding all day long, not a few hours at a time. Yes my lincoln water cooled package is smaller and nicer to hold, but not worth the extra cost.
I wound up getting an after market Hobart air cooled torch that was small for my longevity after a while anyways.
I was under the impression after 2 minutes of welding at 140amps the torch would likely be too hot to hold for an air cooled 17. I plan on putting a lot of times getting my technique down and that will likely mean running a ton of beads on 1/8" aluminum plate since aluminum makes all your mistakes more apparent. That is after I can do a standard bead on mild steal.

I am the type of guy who would practice something without wasting anything but time. For welding I imagine I will spend a bit of time simply moving the torch, maintaining the right clearance, practicing stick and torch synchronized movement etc. all before actually laying down my first bead.

Hell I even practice braking and low speed maneuvers at least once a month so I remember what .3, .6, and .9g's feels like in case I need to do it.

I don't know what I will end up using this welder for but I do know when I do projects I have limited time and in cases where equipment has held me back I have replaced it with something nicer. I did it enough times I tend to buy something I can grow into or something where I would only ever use 80% of its full potential.

I haven't purchased the 250ex / 300wc yet but I did send an email to Everlast to see if they could give me a better price to order them in combo. However I did order a CK20 with some extras. If I don't end up needing it I can get a CK9 and put the attachments on it.

Details on this other forum / topic: Welding Tips and Tricks • View topic - Beginner needing input on equipment