View Single Post
Old 05-27-2014, 01:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
darcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post
Concept looks interesting but I can already see some problems.

The number one being the coefficient of friction. How does it compare to asphalt and concrete?

Second are single tracked vehicles. For those that don't ride motorcycles it might be hard to understand but a surface like that could create harmonics and be a hazard for the rider. Everything from tank slappers (technical term here), parts more likely to vibrate off, reduced stopping performance etc.

Another less obvious one is wear. Even electric vehicles get covered in a dirty mess under the car. This comes from brake dust, oil and other spilled fluids which could have potential to short out the panels, tire dust and skid marks etc. How do these things stay clean and safe?

I would also be interest to know how the panels would hold up under a fully loaded trailer braking at full force. Would they lift out, damage the frame, shatter, etc?

And I wonder what the real energy cost is of these panels over their life time and if they can 'repay' for their cost and hidden costs outside the panel itself like installation and infrastructure costs. Solar panels are not pollution free in production and I would venture to say their "glass" panels are not either.

Lots of research would need to be done for this to go through and I hope they figure out. Any other engineer minded people see issues with this or am I just making everyone upset with me?
You're not the only one.

At first blush it sounds good, but it's always good to be skeptical. Especially when lots of time is put into a flashy video and not much on the details.

So... the solar panel will absorb sunlight (and they typically run at 15-20% efficiency) in short winter days and use that to power: LED lights to direct traffic, heaters to keep snow off, and power the city?

That does NOT pass the sniff test.

These might be feasible in sunny, warm climes but even there I have a hard time seeing the cost being justified.

And how long would they last with heavy traffic?

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
The Following User Says Thank You to darcane For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (05-28-2014)