View Single Post
Old 05-29-2014, 02:23 AM   #67 (permalink)
hyper-miler
EcoModding Lurker

Hyosung - '07 Hyosung gt250r
90 day: 55.49 mpg (US)

Burgman - '07 Burgman 650 k7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post
Let's talk lights.

I want to flush mount the lights on the front and tail. I already have an 8700, and two 6150's but I need turn signals for the front and preferably LED. The issue of course is DOT approval.

For the tail the brake light must be as close to the rear of the vehicle as possible. This means to me one on either side of the tail tip or the tail tip itself having the brake light.

For the rear blinker the lights have to be at least 4.5" optically off center. This means they are going to be on the 4th rib from the tip or farther away. They need to face backward though and hopefully be streamlined as well.

I would just go with all LED strip lighting but I know the guys inspecting the bike won't let it pass. Thoughts?

I have been looking at classic vehicle cone tail lights to pin off the back and convert to blinkers for the sides for the rear.
I put the led lights (7m roll on flea bay-~$3) on the end. I copied what Vetter did by placing the turn signal lights & brake light behind my head on .032" aluminum. I never heard the brake rule you speak of, but it wouldn't surprise me in a state where inspections are required. Make your own round LED's and connect to brake wire. Ground the aluminum with the NEG, and then ground everything else to the aluminum. Pic Below.

Also leave the current lights inside the tail- those act as night lights in the tail if your electrical system can handle the load.

Last edited by hyper-miler; 05-29-2014 at 02:06 PM..