View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 05:21 PM   #39 (permalink)
metromizer
Master EcoModder

I took a 'long and hard look' at CNG for my particular situation, I came away to understand everyhting ke7en posted.

We have an entire fleet of flex-fuel gas/CNG Ford F150's, but almost no one flips the CNG switch on (they require you take an 8 hr training class to fill the CNG tank at our on-site refueling depot)

For commuting use, I could not justify was purchasing a used Civic GX for $12k, or close to $28k for a new one, then a Phill unit for $4k plus instal and permit fees (even if I get a rebate and tax credit). If I received a free GX, I'd be all over it!

More: Several years ago, I spoke with a couple of hobby drag racers at Sears Point Raceway who were campagning a CNG powered drag car (a Hudson I think). The two friends both worked for PG&E, the CNG and electric utility company in norcal. They were technicians of some sort. As I recall, they confirmed lower BTU than gasoline (slower car for similar displacement, but not by much), the slower burning fuel needed higher static compression and/or more ignition timing to regain some lost power, and they said they get a cleaner combustion chamber and the oil stays clean (race engine oil get contaminated real fast by unburned fuel slipping past the rings under the heavy loads). I was funny, since they had a regulator that looked identicle to the one outside my home, hanging off my meter

Anyhow, the only low-priced used CNG vehicles I see on Craig's List have been trucks and vans... I'm not going that direction. But the State of California and some of the public schools have fleets of sedans that will be sold off in the coming years.

Perhaps the GSA auctions would be worth looking at.