View Single Post
Old 06-08-2014, 02:11 AM   #17 (permalink)
Baltothewolf
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Both a/ts and m/ts have plenty of gears, shafts, and bearings which continue to spin if the vehicle is coasting whether it's in neutral or not and whether the engine is on or off and whether the clutch is engaged or not. The exceptions are those very uncommon vehicles that can freewheel. I'm not sure, but I suspect that if the only variable is if the transmission is auto or manual, the coasting distances would be very similar.

I'm wondering what prompted the question and what will we do with the answer?

Many but not all a/ts should not be coasted extended distances with the engine off due to lack of transmission lubrication. Most m/ts are splash lubricated; the simple fact that bits are spinning in the oil lubricates them and no pump is required. So if I wanted to do extended coasting- presumably the reason I want to coast in the first place is to have the engine off to save fuel- I'd prefer to have a m/t.

Clutch in or out makes no difference whatsoever because it is on the wrong end of the transmission for disrupting the transmission-to-wheels connection.
I EoC (Engine on Coast) for a good 11-13 miles on my way home from work everyday, and I barely lose any speed while coasting, with my old Camry, I could coast for an extremely long time before I would have to accelerate again, which I now suspect was because of the heavier weight. If manuals coasted better, I could probably engine off-coast with a manual for about 8 of that if manuals coasted any better. Due to this information from all you guys, there isn't a doubt in my mind that I am getting a manual when I get the rest of the settlement from my car accident. Right now I have 800$ and am trying to find an old beater, but they are extremely hard to find in Cali due to the strict smog requirements. I can find them all day around my uncle who lives in Washington, but not here.

Here is the stretch of freeway I get to coast on. Note however, I do have to climb that everyday and I only average 28-33mpg the entire time.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/34.3...m3!4m2!1m0!1m0

[Edit]: Only reason I don't engine-off coast now is because I enjoy my auto tranny intact.

Another edit: Here is my route to work everyday: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/1480...34.2112961!3e0