Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2014, 01:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Woah, thanks for the replies guys. What about with the clutch pushed in on the manual? Would that make anything of a difference?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Shouldn't, but one could shift out of gear and release the clutch.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
I would expect the manual to coast a little farther in gear because it wouldn't be so slippy as an automatic, but on neutral the difference might be negligible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Where does the auto trans fluid pump get its power? Is it a parasitic load on the trans directly, indirectly via the engine, or more indirectly via some electrical system drawing on the battery?
I have never seen an electric ATF pump.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I would expect the manual to coast a little farther in gear because it wouldn't be so slippy as an automatic, but on neutral the difference might be negligible.
I don't understand what this is, or how the slippiness would influence it coasting out of gear.

Best Tanks:
Old 06-07-2014, 10:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Where does the auto trans fluid pump get its power? Is it a parasitic load on the trans directly, indirectly via the engine, or more indirectly via some electrical system drawing on the battery?
The fluid pump is turned by the engine directly by drive teeth on the back of the torque converter body. Whenever the engine is running, the pump is being turned. I would argue that its energy consumption is negligible in the big picture, but still takes slightly more energy that a manual transmission in neutral.

This has no overall effect on coasting distance. Coasting distance is very similar between an auto and manual transmission, but you are using slightly more energy if you are idling with an automatic while doing so.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Both a/ts and m/ts have plenty of gears, shafts, and bearings which continue to spin if the vehicle is coasting whether it's in neutral or not and whether the engine is on or off and whether the clutch is engaged or not. The exceptions are those very uncommon vehicles that can freewheel. I'm not sure, but I suspect that if the only variable is if the transmission is auto or manual, the coasting distances would be very similar.

I'm wondering what prompted the question and what will we do with the answer?

Many but not all a/ts should not be coasted extended distances with the engine off due to lack of transmission lubrication. Most m/ts are splash lubricated; the simple fact that bits are spinning in the oil lubricates them and no pump is required. So if I wanted to do extended coasting- presumably the reason I want to coast in the first place is to have the engine off to save fuel- I'd prefer to have a m/t.

Clutch in or out makes no difference whatsoever because it is on the wrong end of the transmission for disrupting the transmission-to-wheels connection.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:11 AM   #17 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Both a/ts and m/ts have plenty of gears, shafts, and bearings which continue to spin if the vehicle is coasting whether it's in neutral or not and whether the engine is on or off and whether the clutch is engaged or not. The exceptions are those very uncommon vehicles that can freewheel. I'm not sure, but I suspect that if the only variable is if the transmission is auto or manual, the coasting distances would be very similar.

I'm wondering what prompted the question and what will we do with the answer?

Many but not all a/ts should not be coasted extended distances with the engine off due to lack of transmission lubrication. Most m/ts are splash lubricated; the simple fact that bits are spinning in the oil lubricates them and no pump is required. So if I wanted to do extended coasting- presumably the reason I want to coast in the first place is to have the engine off to save fuel- I'd prefer to have a m/t.

Clutch in or out makes no difference whatsoever because it is on the wrong end of the transmission for disrupting the transmission-to-wheels connection.
I EoC (Engine on Coast) for a good 11-13 miles on my way home from work everyday, and I barely lose any speed while coasting, with my old Camry, I could coast for an extremely long time before I would have to accelerate again, which I now suspect was because of the heavier weight. If manuals coasted better, I could probably engine off-coast with a manual for about 8 of that if manuals coasted any better. Due to this information from all you guys, there isn't a doubt in my mind that I am getting a manual when I get the rest of the settlement from my car accident. Right now I have 800$ and am trying to find an old beater, but they are extremely hard to find in Cali due to the strict smog requirements. I can find them all day around my uncle who lives in Washington, but not here.

Here is the stretch of freeway I get to coast on. Note however, I do have to climb that everyday and I only average 28-33mpg the entire time.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/34.3...m3!4m2!1m0!1m0

[Edit]: Only reason I don't engine-off coast now is because I enjoy my auto tranny intact.

Another edit: Here is my route to work everyday: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/1480...34.2112961!3e0

Old 06-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #18 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

It's a shame your uncle can't buy a car and you just drive it from time to time.

Wink.

Best Tanks:
Old 06-08-2014, 01:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
It's a shame your uncle can't buy a car and you just drive it from time to time.

Wink.
I literally just asked my mom this last night haha, but I don't think an old beater would survive the 1,100 mile drive home from his house to my house :P

Old 06-09-2014, 12:23 AM   #20 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
I don't understand what this is, or how the slippiness would influence it coasting out of gear.
Coasting on neutral it would be less noticeable than coasting on gear, unless the automatic transmission has that neutral-coasting feature like the one used in the Saturn Astra.

Reply  Post New Thread