View Single Post
Old 06-09-2014, 11:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rango318
EcoModding Lurker

Geoff - 5 speed swap - '02 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 49.46 mpg (US)

Fusing Titanium - '19 Ford Fusion Titanium
Team Ford
90 day: 50.91 mpg (US)
TDI, better MPG from hard acceleration?

I read this concept on a TDI forum, and decided to try it out. It was stated on that forum, that it is better for a TDI to accelerate hard to the given speed, than it is to take time to get to it. This statement is completely backwards from what most people do, what i do, and what this site recommends. But i tried it anyway and here is what I have seen.

The last few nights on my drive home from work, I have a stretch a the edge of town where I must stop at a stop sign. After that, it is around 1/2 to 3/4 mile to the stop light, speed limit 35. Most days, i take it easy when leaving the sign, and by the time i get to the light, my torque app is at the same trip MPG as it was when I left.

Tonight when I left the stop sign, the trip MPG was at 47.6. I took off hard, about 75% throttle, and when i got up to speed for OD to kick in (41MPH) i let off and drove 38 mph the rest of the road. When i got to the light my trip gauge said 47.9.

I thought is that it can be more beneficial to do this in my car (02 tdi auto) is i have at least a 1/2 mile for sure before i need to slow down.

I would really like to hear what everyone thinks on this matter.

The eclipse has retired, but I still like seeing it around