View Single Post
Old 06-13-2014, 11:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
inanitydefined
EcoModding Lurker

Lexus es300 - '95 lexus es300
Team Toyota
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)
cramming the whole cake in my face

Tldr for those who don't care about the go fast bits (and really the real question here anyway): how can I aero mod a first gen Toyota rav4?
And are there any other cheap sporty cars with (preferably) AWD and lots of cargo room?

So I've been thinking a lot about a project car. Something that will eventually take over for my daily driver (right now I'm content if not thrilled by my overpriced Camry)

Ive been told I want my cake and to eat it too. Darn straight, I want to eat that whole thing like a baby on its first birthday. I have a 30mile one way commute, with lots of twisty back roads. I like to enjoy my time behind the wheel. I also have many an occasion where I need to haul 4 adults and some gear in the boot, so a tiny car just won't work. And I find myself at the track fairly often, id like to have something I can compete with, be it autocross, drag, rally, or endurance runs. I don't have to win, but it'd be nice to have a daily driver that could do well and get 35mpg.
And I'm not the richest man. This project would have to be done on a low budget a piece at a time.

My interest would be stuffing the caldina turbo 2.0 3sgte in a first gen rav4. Why? Because it will nearly bolt in, and the first gen rave weighs 2400lbs for the 2dr, to 2800 for the 4dr.
24-2800lbs, 250hp, AWD, shares some suspension bits with the same era celica. I feel confident I could do this swap with a couple of my Honda buddies as it looks *fairly* simple.

Now for the question. The rav4 is a brick. Aero leaves a lot to be desired. How can I help this?
Any other options I haven't considered? As I said I already have a daily driver, I'm looking for a project to beat it in the fun, fuel economy, AND practicality departments. Otherwise id just get a Miata and call it a day. Are there any other good cars to do what I want?
And don't say Civic. Maybe say CRV but I'm loathe to deal with the weight of that awd system for a 90/10 viscous coupler

Last edited by inanitydefined; 06-13-2014 at 11:45 PM..