View Single Post
Old 06-16-2014, 12:33 AM   #35 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
I have seen it mentioned several times that the OP likes the handling of the Legacy. It'd be my choice for a fun all-rounder. My 1996 Legacy flew pretty well through the corners, but my only comparison at the time was my parent's Camry. I was averaging 28mpg in mixed driving with the 2.2L 5-speed. That was before I joined this site and modified my driving even further.

If you wanted a project car to turn a wrench on, there are plenty of cheap Subies with blown head gaskets out there. My friend just sold his 1999 Outback due to his 2nd blown head gasket.

The Rav 4 sounds like a fun project too. If you have a source for a cheap one with a wrecked motor, then go for it and keep us up to date on the progress.

As for me owning multiple cars in my 20s...

The TSX- is my dream commuter car, and it was the best compromise of price, fuel economy, speed, handling, reliability, and luxury that I could find. The 6-speed manual is pure bliss.

The Dodge/Cummins- truck ended up in the stable after buying it at auction for $6,200. I wanted a 4x4 truck for camping and hauling stuff including a jetski. Rarely do I drive it; it's at my parent's house because my dad doesn't have his own car. He drives it on the rare occasion he needs a vehicle, and usually his need involves hauling rocks/materials/bark dust.

Motorcycle- Fun :P

Camry- My commuter car for when it's raining. The wife drives the TSX now.

None of these vehicles was purchased new. I've spent just under $30k for everything, including the jetski.

This shows the snow capability of the Legacy. It went uphill pushing snow until it piled up on top of the hood. Most fun all-round vehicle I've owned. Only had to replace the clutch when I bought it from the original owners. It went 240,000 problem free miles while being abused regularly off-road, until it was rear-ended and totaled.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 06-16-2014 at 12:49 AM..