Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2014, 11:10 PM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Lexus es300 - '95 lexus es300
Team Toyota
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)
Thank you wmjinman. I am looking into a scangauge. They only work with obd2 compliant cars though right?
Are there other options for obd1 and JDM engines? Does scanguage work with standalone engine management like megasquirt?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-15-2014, 11:19 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by inanitydefined View Post
Thank you wmjinman. I am looking into a scangauge. They only work with obd2 compliant cars though right?
Are there other options for obd1 and JDM engines? Does scanguage work with standalone engine management like megasquirt?
Yes, obd2 systems, I believe, which also coincides with stock cars 1996 and newer. I think there are a few older ones that had the obd2 earlier. There are threads on here about how to deal with earlier cars, but since mine work with the ScanGauge, I haven't paid that much attention to them. One, the MPGuino (I think) is supposed to be something you can use on earlier vehicles. I suggest you read up on that one if you're not going to have something a ScanGuage will work on.

I also saw you are not rich and trying to save up for a house (which I appreciate and applaude). There is another one out there (obd2 again though, I think) called an "UltraGauge" that some seem to like better than the ScanGauge (and is cheaper). I have no personal experience with the Ultragauge, but like the MPGuino, you can find it discussed all over this site.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:00 AM   #33 (permalink)
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
How about a all wheel drive car, best of both worlds speed and traction and it should be able to stay above 30mpg if its a 4 cyl

Old 06-16-2014, 12:15 AM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
Don't you incur additional drivetrain drag with power to all wheels? I think being able to "disconnect" the unneeded wheels would increase mpg. All those mileages I got in the Jimmy was in 2 wheel drive. I never even tried checking it's mileage in 4 wheel drive. Guess I should have - just so I'd know.....

Old 06-16-2014, 12:33 AM   #35 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
I have seen it mentioned several times that the OP likes the handling of the Legacy. It'd be my choice for a fun all-rounder. My 1996 Legacy flew pretty well through the corners, but my only comparison at the time was my parent's Camry. I was averaging 28mpg in mixed driving with the 2.2L 5-speed. That was before I joined this site and modified my driving even further.

If you wanted a project car to turn a wrench on, there are plenty of cheap Subies with blown head gaskets out there. My friend just sold his 1999 Outback due to his 2nd blown head gasket.

The Rav 4 sounds like a fun project too. If you have a source for a cheap one with a wrecked motor, then go for it and keep us up to date on the progress.

As for me owning multiple cars in my 20s...

The TSX- is my dream commuter car, and it was the best compromise of price, fuel economy, speed, handling, reliability, and luxury that I could find. The 6-speed manual is pure bliss.

The Dodge/Cummins- truck ended up in the stable after buying it at auction for $6,200. I wanted a 4x4 truck for camping and hauling stuff including a jetski. Rarely do I drive it; it's at my parent's house because my dad doesn't have his own car. He drives it on the rare occasion he needs a vehicle, and usually his need involves hauling rocks/materials/bark dust.

Motorcycle- Fun :P

Camry- My commuter car for when it's raining. The wife drives the TSX now.

None of these vehicles was purchased new. I've spent just under $30k for everything, including the jetski.

This shows the snow capability of the Legacy. It went uphill pushing snow until it piled up on top of the hood. Most fun all-round vehicle I've owned. Only had to replace the clutch when I bought it from the original owners. It went 240,000 problem free miles while being abused regularly off-road, until it was rear-ended and totaled.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 06-16-2014 at 12:49 AM..
Old 06-16-2014, 01:10 AM   #36 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
If you wanted a project car to turn a wrench on, there are plenty of cheap Subies with blown head gaskets out there.
I'll second that. Either a Forester or an Outback might be a good base for a project with minimum compromise between the performance you want and the overall utility you need. I also like the old Impreza wagons.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:31 PM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
30mpg+

Quote:
Originally Posted by inanitydefined View Post
My question was simply if the rav4 can be made to get 30mpg+ and what other small SUV can do the same.
I like the rav4 because they are fun stock, roomy, easy to upgrade, have a brilliant AWD system, and come with a great 2litre motor.

My original plan was to find a rav4 with a blown motor and keep the Lexus until its done. After looking around though there are plenty of good condition examples for what I have to spend. And if I have to put tires on my leather seats again I'll lose my mind

My question was not whether or not I should buy a second car. I'm happy that works for you. But it doesn't work for me nor is it remotely on topic
Yes,your RAV4 could be modified to get this,or much better mpg.