View Single Post
Old 06-18-2014, 09:50 PM   #64 (permalink)
Davo53209@yahoo.com
EcoModding Apprentice

Today's task was to put on a new distributor cap & rotor along with setting the ignition timing on my 94 Honda Civic. To be clear, I'd followed the steps specified from several website forums, in addition to watching the video made by Eric the Car Guy on Youtube.

The only thing that's confounding me is that when I did my test drive, the RPM gauge would hover slightly under 1000 RPM's at idle. The sticker however indicates an idle speed of 600 RPM's +-50. What am I not understanding? Am I under the mistaken impression that the idle speed should have dropped to 600 RPM's after I set the ignition timing?

In case there are any questions to what I did, I followed the steps in this order:

-Referred to the specs on the sticker under the hood: 16 +/-2 degrees, with an idle speed of 600 rpm +/- 50rpm.
-Warmed the engine up to operating temp.
-Shorted the check connector with a paper clip.
-Hook up the timing light and at 90 degrees, shined it down the V-groove and indicator marking on timing cover.

-Lined up the middle/red timing mark perfectly to the indicator mark on the timing cover.
-Tighten up the bolts on the distributor & rechecked the timing marks with the timing light.
-Pulled out the paper clip & shut the hood.

Everyone's feedback is greatly appreciate.