Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #61 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Yeah, there was someone saying that, but all I did was an extrmely minor 2 degree advance. Ran it for a year without trouble. But I had to go back to stock to pass Cali smog tests. Have kept it stock ever since (almost 2 years). The one thing you need to do is make sure you knlw the stock setting from a reliable source, like a service manual. I say that because I have seen guys with different Civics (ex, vx, dx) citing different numbers for the stock timing advance. The job is simple enough, but you have to be patient with reading the marks off the rotating pulley. The angles in the engine bay are awkward.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #62 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I just cleaned out the EGR valve, whereas I plan to to adjust the ignition timing next.

In the event that I'm still not gaining much improvement, do you think that it would be excessive to replace the PCV valve, the fuel injectors, do a valve job, or replace all of the vacuum lines. After all, they are twenty years old.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:51 PM   #63 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Jelly Bean - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 50.4 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo53209@yahoo.com View Post
I just cleaned out the EGR valve, whereas I plan to to adjust the ignition timing next.

In the event that I'm still not gaining much improvement, do you think that it would be excessive to replace the PCV valve, the fuel injectors, do a valve job, or replace all of the vacuum lines. After all, they are twenty years old.
it might be your o2 sensor. I have heard they go bad sometimes without throwing a check engine code. Try unplugging it and running the car around to see if it gets any worse fuel economy. If it stays roughly the same I would say its time to replace it.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:50 PM   #64 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Today's task was to put on a new distributor cap & rotor along with setting the ignition timing on my 94 Honda Civic. To be clear, I'd followed the steps specified from several website forums, in addition to watching the video made by Eric the Car Guy on Youtube.

The only thing that's confounding me is that when I did my test drive, the RPM gauge would hover slightly under 1000 RPM's at idle. The sticker however indicates an idle speed of 600 RPM's +-50. What am I not understanding? Am I under the mistaken impression that the idle speed should have dropped to 600 RPM's after I set the ignition timing?

In case there are any questions to what I did, I followed the steps in this order:

-Referred to the specs on the sticker under the hood: 16 +/-2 degrees, with an idle speed of 600 rpm +/- 50rpm.
-Warmed the engine up to operating temp.
-Shorted the check connector with a paper clip.
-Hook up the timing light and at 90 degrees, shined it down the V-groove and indicator marking on timing cover.

-Lined up the middle/red timing mark perfectly to the indicator mark on the timing cover.
-Tighten up the bolts on the distributor & rechecked the timing marks with the timing light.
-Pulled out the paper clip & shut the hood.

Everyone's feedback is greatly appreciate.

Reply  Post New Thread