View Single Post
Old 06-19-2014, 12:26 AM   #19 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97-civic-ex View Post
On the HX O2 sensors are the same for both cali and fed. Only ecu is different. ... If o2 sensors were different you would not be able to swap ecu's without swapping O2 sensors as well.
Yup. You're right. I was just searching. And both the Cali and the Fed MT HXs had the 5-wire wideband. But it seems the CVT HX had the 4 wire narrow band O2. So not all the HX models had that 5 wire! It's just that Cali/Fed was no longer the important distinction. MT/CVT was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97-civic-ex View Post
Edit:
Oh and a lean burn motor doesn't 'need' a wideband. The 3-stage p2j ecu runs the d15b with a single wire narrowband o2 sensor just fine with lean burn. It all operates in open loop anyway, which means the o2 sensor is out of the equation and it controls fuel based off a predetermined map/setting.
Seems this is true too. So interesting! Here is a guy with lots of gauges who swears lean burn is closed loop operation in all conditions except cold: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post248581

But if you look further down on that first page you'll see Ryland state essentially what you have said, that it's open loop in the US market. Lots of variation. I guess the ECU uses stuff like the O2 and the knock sensor to keep abreast of what's happening with the engine while in lean burn so it can adjust other parameters to protect against engine damage?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
97-civic-ex (06-19-2014)