View Single Post
Old 06-23-2014, 07:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Goldenstate
Heilopower

Platinum Ghost - '14 Ford Fusion SE
90 day: 27.51 mpg (US)
With the recent addition of a ScanGuage to my F150, I became aware of the voltage variations during driving that the simple needle pointer on the dash was keeping me clueless about. With low numbers of 13.8 to high numbers of 14.9 or 15.1 and a year old new replacement alternator, I became suspicious. I started reading up on grounding issues and how poorly the factory takes care of such things.

I looked up the basic improved grounding options and started to replace my corroded ground straps with heavier cables. This helped to stabilize the voltages but the numbers still did not settle down to my liking. I then added a direct ground from the battery negative terminal to the back of the alternator where the alternator is grounded to the engine block. This new cable was a #4 gauge cable with copper connections at both ends. The new cable caused my voltages to stabilize in the 14.1 to 14.3 area unless I was using an electrical device. Even then the voltage is stable with a slightly lower reading. I had no clue how much difference the additional grounding cable could make in making the electrical system more efficient.

A friend once claimed that just heavier cables to the battery would help make the alternator and battery last longer. No telling what the additional cable from alternator to battery will do long term.

There are several different Youtube presentations that deal with grounding upgrades. Watch all of them and get a good idea of what options are possible. Just wish I had know about this ten years ago. The educational opportunities on this site are many.