Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2014, 07:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

green VX - '95 Honda civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 59.74 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes View Post
There might not be anything wrong. Honda uses alternators with two output levels and an electrical load detector. The ECU will reduce alternator output if there isn't much load on it. On my '91 Civic, any speed above 40 MPH should be 14 volts regardless of load. But I'm usually forcing the alternator into the low output mode.
This. The VX has a Special Voltage Regulator. In My car (1995 VX), If I'm running a load greater than 10Amps, Turn on the A/C or go over 40MPH it puts out 14 volts. My Dad has a 1992 VX and it does the same, except the speed is not a factor.

My adjustable WAI / HAI build thread

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post408134
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-23-2014, 07:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoTex View Post
This. The VX has a Special Voltage Regulator. In My car (1995 VX), If I'm running a load greater than 10Amps, Turn on the A/C or go over 40MPH it puts out 14 volts. My Dad has a 1992 VX and it does the same, except the speed is not a factor.
where is the special voltage regulator? my alt is not oem honda. mine goes from 12 to 14 at idle or driving with no load. is this normal or not?
Old 06-23-2014, 04:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

green VX - '95 Honda civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 59.74 mpg (US)
If it jumps around at idle, it is not normal. If it changes depending on electrical load, it is normal.
Mine is at 12.3ish at idle with a warm engine and light electrical load (no A/C or headlights, no fans), but increases whenever load does, or other parameters already mentioned. I looked in my factory electrical troubleshooting manual for the exact conditions, but I think it is in the main manual.

My adjustable WAI / HAI build thread

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post408134
Old 06-23-2014, 07:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Heilopower

Platinum Ghost - '14 Ford Fusion SE
90 day: 27.51 mpg (US)
With the recent addition of a ScanGuage to my F150, I became aware of the voltage variations during driving that the simple needle pointer on the dash was keeping me clueless about. With low numbers of 13.8 to high numbers of 14.9 or 15.1 and a year old new replacement alternator, I became suspicious. I started reading up on grounding issues and how poorly the factory takes care of such things.

I looked up the basic improved grounding options and started to replace my corroded ground straps with heavier cables. This helped to stabilize the voltages but the numbers still did not settle down to my liking. I then added a direct ground from the battery negative terminal to the back of the alternator where the alternator is grounded to the engine block. This new cable was a #4 gauge cable with copper connections at both ends. The new cable caused my voltages to stabilize in the 14.1 to 14.3 area unless I was using an electrical device. Even then the voltage is stable with a slightly lower reading. I had no clue how much difference the additional grounding cable could make in making the electrical system more efficient.

A friend once claimed that just heavier cables to the battery would help make the alternator and battery last longer. No telling what the additional cable from alternator to battery will do long term.

There are several different Youtube presentations that deal with grounding upgrades. Watch all of them and get a good idea of what options are possible. Just wish I had know about this ten years ago. The educational opportunities on this site are many.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoTex View Post
i paid closer attention to it today and noticed at 50mph it changed from 12.3ish to 13.8 ish. so i guess this is by design and normal for the vx?????
Old 06-23-2014, 09:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Cool

Hondas have an additional voltage or load regulator to help in fuel economy. They call it the ELD, it turns the alt on when battery voltage falls below 12.6 volts. I dont know the upper voltage, but think its near 13.8 to 14 volts. It trys to make the starter battery bare the load of the electrical system vs constantly powering the car by the alt. Theres plenty of stuff online how to disable it.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Hondas have an additional voltage or load regulator to help in fuel economy. They call it the ELD, it turns the alt on when battery voltage falls below 12.6 volts. I dont know the upper voltage, but think its near 13.8 to 14 volts. It trys to make the starter battery bare the load of the electrical system vs constantly powering the car by the alt. Theres plenty of stuff online how to disable it.
if its suppose to work this way thats fine its just trying to find people that know this so we what is a problem and not? so how do you troubleshoot this? and how low is to low? is the eld same as resistor block?

and i found this from another forum - http://www.civicforums.com/forums/21...-detector.html

Last edited by 83gs1100g; 06-23-2014 at 10:00 PM..
Old 06-25-2014, 05:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I just checked my Fiesta (original motorcraft battery) and an agm battery that was given to me. The Fiesta has not moved since Sunday and the battery reads 13.2 volts. The agm battery has not been touched in two months after being charged and it reads 12.8 volts.

regards
Mech

Reply  Post New Thread