View Single Post
Old 06-30-2014, 11:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
jazig_k
EcoModding Lurker

New to econo driving - 1988 Alfa 75 Twinspark [Milano]

Hi guys,
I only recently got interested in econo-driving... A week ago. So I thought I'd join a forum to see how I can do better.

I drive a couple of Alfa's. One '88 Verde/ 75 3lt V6, 5 speed manual, which is highly modified to be fun. Fun = $$$. Last tank I put though it got me 20l/100km, driving like I built it to be driven plus 2 days to and from work on the highway. I built it with intention to be my weekender. I have never put a tank though it with intention to see how my l/km is with reasonable driving.

My other Alfa kind of by chance. A '88 Milano/75 2lt Twinspark, 5speed manual. I Found it cheap online and bought it for the transaxle to put into my 3lt [4.1:1 gearing].

When I first looked at it I was really impressed with the condition and knew instantly I couldn't wreck it. Daily drive it was! I was so keen I even sold my Ford Falcon AU off before I even had this driving!

So I swapped the transaxles over and it now has the V6 transaxle, 3.5:1 gearing. Plus some 205/55/15 instead of the 195/50's it had, with 38 PSI in the tyres. And the basic fluids and filter service.

So first the second day I drove it, I took it to work. I filled the tank to check my l/km. 63kms, 2/3rds of that highway driving and the refill calculations come back at 7.52lt/100km. Not bad for driving it like a numb-skull in the town bit.

Currently I'm down to 3/4 of my refilled tank which I'll run down to near empty to get a decent idea of my l/km for the work commute.
I'll start up a fuel log shortly.

I would love some suggestions about where to start changing things. My driving style is number one on my list... I'm still reading though all the tips and so on around this forum too.

Visually I don't want to change the car. That kinda scrubs most aero mods. I'll look at under trays since I don't want to lower the car.

Here's the car in question, the day I got it home.