Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2014, 11:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

New to econo driving - 1988 Alfa 75 Twinspark [Milano]

Hi guys,
I only recently got interested in econo-driving... A week ago. So I thought I'd join a forum to see how I can do better.

I drive a couple of Alfa's. One '88 Verde/ 75 3lt V6, 5 speed manual, which is highly modified to be fun. Fun = $$$. Last tank I put though it got me 20l/100km, driving like I built it to be driven plus 2 days to and from work on the highway. I built it with intention to be my weekender. I have never put a tank though it with intention to see how my l/km is with reasonable driving.

My other Alfa kind of by chance. A '88 Milano/75 2lt Twinspark, 5speed manual. I Found it cheap online and bought it for the transaxle to put into my 3lt [4.1:1 gearing].

When I first looked at it I was really impressed with the condition and knew instantly I couldn't wreck it. Daily drive it was! I was so keen I even sold my Ford Falcon AU off before I even had this driving!

So I swapped the transaxles over and it now has the V6 transaxle, 3.5:1 gearing. Plus some 205/55/15 instead of the 195/50's it had, with 38 PSI in the tyres. And the basic fluids and filter service.

So first the second day I drove it, I took it to work. I filled the tank to check my l/km. 63kms, 2/3rds of that highway driving and the refill calculations come back at 7.52lt/100km. Not bad for driving it like a numb-skull in the town bit.

Currently I'm down to 3/4 of my refilled tank which I'll run down to near empty to get a decent idea of my l/km for the work commute.
I'll start up a fuel log shortly.

I would love some suggestions about where to start changing things. My driving style is number one on my list... I'm still reading though all the tips and so on around this forum too.

Visually I don't want to change the car. That kinda scrubs most aero mods. I'll look at under trays since I don't want to lower the car.

Here's the car in question, the day I got it home.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-30-2014, 11:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
You could do a discreet grill block and use matching paint to make it look like it belongs there, I know some people have done that and it looks better then it did without it. As for other things, I would get a kill switch installed. That alone will help a lot, especially in the city part of your commute. Other then that, just adjust your acceleration and coasting distances and you will probably see a big improvement, I personally saw a big improvement in my camry when I had it. Went from 27-32mpg just slowing down from 75-70mph and being more careful in the city.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

My city part of work commute is minor. I pass though 4 sets of traffic lights, 1 of I am likely to get stopped, 1 is 50/50 and 2 are pretty much never. To and from work.

I was actually reading about kill switches then, but would prefer a kill-start switch, where when pressed in it kills the engine, when released a relay clicks the starter motor over for a second or 2 to restart the car at lights. Has this been done before?
Old 07-01-2014, 12:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazig_k View Post
My city part of work commute is minor. I pass though 4 sets of traffic lights, 1 of I am likely to get stopped, 1 is 50/50 and 2 are pretty much never. To and from work.

I was actually reading about kill switches then, but would prefer a kill-start switch, where when pressed in it kills the engine, when released a relay clicks the starter motor over for a second or 2 to restart the car at lights. Has this been done before?
That's a good question, I have never heard of that done before, I can imagine you could have 2 different buttons, one for the starter and another to kill the motor.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I don't believe it would be 2 switches. A momentary switch (springs back up) would be hooked to 2 circuits; one to kill the injectors when pressed in and one to flick a timed relay to buzz the starter when released. A "dummy switch" to make sure you never restart while in gear (starter relay only passes power to starter motor when clutch fully depressed).

Would be a small circuit board job no doubt. I thought maybe someone has made a kit before (google turned me up empty handed).

I imagine it would be much like the new BMW systems where they restart the car as you release brakes at traffic lights.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,963 Times in 3,606 Posts
Belated welcome to the forum!

I know of at least one vehicle here with a dual-button stop/start: press button "A" to stop, button "B" to re-start (just spliced into the starter circuit).

You wouldn't want to have to hold a button to keep the engine shut off though. Imagine you've cut the engine while approaching a stop that also has a bend in it. (You'd want both hands available for steering). Or you want to change the volume/radio station... Etc.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 07-08-2014, 09:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
Nice car! Did you take into account that the odometer will be off by ~5%?

Biggest impact is the nut behind the wheel, next is to keep your tires up. I usually fill to max sidewall, but many on here fill them well past that, taking into account that max sidewall has a generous safety margin.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Odometer is perfect actually. The gearbox/transaxle, speedo box, dash cluster and wheels are all from my v6, which was perfect while all in that.

I've been watching tyre psi. I pump them up to 42, not sure what wall pressure is.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

A few new measures and developments...

These M-Jetronic ECU's have a "fuel quality" plug. Pretty much 5 different maps for fuel and ignition based on the plug.
If you google 'craig's place fuel plug' the first link should be a page that shows and explains it well enough. I can't post the link.

Surprisingly, my car had no plug in, or wire, so was running '100ron'. Swapped it to 95ron and instantly had a better car. Started faster, pulled better at low revs but worse at 3K+.

Fuel so far.

7.5L/100 mostly highway for one day.

Full tank normal driving town and highway. Averages have been taken after 400km.

9.5l/100 [100ron plug]

9L/100 --- [100ron plug]

8.4L/100 ---100km at 100ron, 100km at 95ron and 200km at 91ron.
While on 95ron I also had a about 15~20minutes of thrashing through local pine forrests... So a pretty impressive average!

Currently on 91ron. This week/tank I have been driving regularly, slow and gentle, and have noticed already in the first 1/4 tank I have got 30km better than any tank so far. I have also noticed the car seems to drive super gutless and has a 'miss' at low revs under load while cold. Maybe the owner took the plug out to resolve that 'miss'.

Keen to see my results at the end of the week.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Been nailing 7.1L for weeks on end, then I started car pooling with a 81kg fella [I asked haha]. ******* pushed my fuel usage up to 7.3~7.4L but only driving every second week so I do eventually save there.

Going to make an under tray shortly since I have multiple regular receipts to compare back with.
Then I'll lower it after I get more weeks on the car. Find out what sort of differences I get.

Reply  Post New Thread