View Single Post
Old 07-03-2014, 11:52 PM   #154 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Certainly those attitudes affect me when they're translated into actions. Of course, if their thoughts are just fantasies, they won't bother me. (Or anyone: see e.g. the case of the NYC 'Cannibal Cop' in recent news.)

Thing is, if people think stupid things, their actions are likely to be stupid as a consequence. There are plenty of people who may think smart but do stupid, but (at least in my experience) darned few who think stupid but do smart.
You frame this in terms of "stupid" vs. "smart". Irrational vs. irrational may be a more fitting description. BTW, "stupid" and "crazy" are two very different states of mind.

Quote:
Suggest you study some chemistry and thermodynamics. You aren't going to get energy out of coal without combining it with oxygen to produce CO2. As I said, Unicorn Corral material.
As I said, the technology does exist, but it is politically unwelcome under the current administration.
Quote:
That they had informed him about diesel truck idling ordinances, about not operating construction equipment before 7 am in a residential area, and about it not being advisable to make physical threats against people.
What is the ordinance about diesel truck idling? It probably doesn't fall under the construction ordinance of noise before 7 AM. What threats did he make against you?

Quote:
OK, I can't control the weather, but I do have the right to whatever natural air is going.
HUH? You don't have a "right" to "natural air"..."going". What does that phrase mean?

Quote:
Oh, so you think it's ok to make laws about this stuff now?
When did I say that I DIDN'T? Do you remember my saying that a Libertarian is not a libertine? Or do you now intend to play the old "straw man" card, to try to put words into my mouth?
Quote:
And as noted above, in this locale there are ordinances against idling diesel trucks, requiring working mufflers on vehicles, etc.
Did you call the police back to have them enforce the law?

Quote:
Of course. I'm not so egotistical as to think he does it with the express purpose of annoying me. I suspect (though since I don't read minds, I don't actually know) that he does it primarily because he's a thoughtless idiot who has no consideration for others, and quite possibly bolsters his ego that way. This is supported by what I've learned about him from people who've dealt with him. He seems to be the sort of person who'd rather make a crooked dime than an honest dollar.
None of that local gossip is relevant to whether he is in compliance with your local ordinances or not.

Quote:
But the next time (if there is one), my response won't be to call the cops :-)
"If there is one"??? In your earlier posts you made it sound like this is a regularly occurring event. Instead of voicing veiled threats, tell us explicitly what you intend to do to him.

You don't sound like you are of any higher mentality that what your neighbor is. Perhaps you deserve each other. That's usually the way it goes...