Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #151 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
Why should you care about what other people think? The mental attitudes of anyone, including hordes of people is NOT what affects you.
Certainly those attitudes affect me when they're translated into actions. Of course, if their thoughts are just fantasies, they won't bother me. (Or anyone: see e.g. the case of the NYC 'Cannibal Cop' in recent news.)

Thing is, if people think stupid things, their actions are likely to be stupid as a consequence. There are plenty of people who may think smart but do stupid, but (at least in my experience) darned few who think stupid but do smart.

Quote:
The technology exists to make clean use of coal. The current government will not permit it.
Suggest you study some chemistry and thermodynamics. You aren't going to get energy out of coal without combining it with oxygen to produce CO2. As I said, Unicorn Corral material.

Quote:
What did the cops say when you called them? Tell us more.
That they had informed him about diesel truck idling ordinances, about not operating construction equipment before 7 am in a residential area, and about it not being advisable to make physical threats against people.

Quote:
You don't have a right or "the freedom" of always having "cool, fresh air".
OK, I can't control the weather, but I do have the right to whatever natural air is going.

Quote:
You don't have the right to prohibit all noise you might find offensive or unacceptable to you, except during hours when it is considered unacceptable according to standards set by laws in your locale.
Oh, so you think it's ok to make laws about this stuff now? And as noted above, in this locale there are ordinances against idling diesel trucks, requiring working mufflers on vehicles, etc.

Quote:
Has it occurred to you that what he is doing may not be directed towards you with the express purpose of annoying you?
Of course. I'm not so egotistical as to think he does it with the express purpose of annoying me. I suspect (though since I don't read minds, I don't actually know) that he does it primarily because he's a thoughtless idiot who has no consideration for others, and quite possibly bolsters his ego that way. This is supported by what I've learned about him from people who've dealt with him. He seems to be the sort of person who'd rather make a crooked dime than an honest dollar.

Quote:
By now, after you called the cops, he knows how to 'push your buttons', and so he will. Only you can change your response to it.
But the next time (if there is one), my response won't be to call the cops :-)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-03-2014, 05:31 PM   #152 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Suggest you study some chemistry and thermodynamics. You aren't going to get energy out of coal without combining it with oxygen to produce CO2. As I said, Unicorn Corral material.
The "problems" with man created CO2 is what belongs in the unicorn corral.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
oil pan 4 (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #153 (permalink)
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Yes, that is what happens - it gets raided. Once a tax is approved, tax money can then be diverted in many different ways.

Once the taxpayers give the government the power to tax, and control over the money generated from the tax, it is no longer in their hands of the public. They have relinquished control over both.
In California, te fuel tax collected by the state simply goes into the general fund along with income taxes, etc.. I don't know about other states or the Feds, but that's a racket if I ever heard one.

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17
Old 07-03-2014, 11:52 PM   #154 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Certainly those attitudes affect me when they're translated into actions. Of course, if their thoughts are just fantasies, they won't bother me. (Or anyone: see e.g. the case of the NYC 'Cannibal Cop' in recent news.)

Thing is, if people think stupid things, their actions are likely to be stupid as a consequence. There are plenty of people who may think smart but do stupid, but (at least in my experience) darned few who think stupid but do smart.
You frame this in terms of "stupid" vs. "smart". Irrational vs. irrational may be a more fitting description. BTW, "stupid" and "crazy" are two very different states of mind.

Quote:
As I said, the technology does exist, but it is politically unwelcome under the current administration.
Quote:
That they had informed him about diesel truck idling ordinances, about not operating construction equipment before 7 am in a residential area, and about it not being advisable to make physical threats against people.
What is the ordinance about diesel truck idling? It probably doesn't fall under the construction ordinance of noise before 7 AM. What threats did he make against you?

Quote:
OK, I can't control the weather, but I do have the right to whatever natural air is going.
HUH? You don't have a "right" to "natural air"..."going". What does that phrase mean?

Quote:
Oh, so you think it's ok to make laws about this stuff now?
When did I say that I DIDN'T? Do you remember my saying that a Libertarian is not a libertine? Or do you now intend to play the old "straw man" card, to try to put words into my mouth?
Quote:
And as noted above, in this locale there are ordinances against idling diesel trucks, requiring working mufflers on vehicles, etc.
Did you call the police back to have them enforce the law?

Quote:
Of course. I'm not so egotistical as to think he does it with the express purpose of annoying me. I suspect (though since I don't read minds, I don't actually know) that he does it primarily because he's a thoughtless idiot who has no consideration for others, and quite possibly bolsters his ego that way. This is supported by what I've learned about him from people who've dealt with him. He seems to be the sort of person who'd rather make a crooked dime than an honest dollar.
None of that local gossip is relevant to whether he is in compliance with your local ordinances or not.

Quote:
But the next time (if there is one), my response won't be to call the cops :-)
"If there is one"??? In your earlier posts you made it sound like this is a regularly occurring event. Instead of voicing veiled threats, tell us explicitly what you intend to do to him.

You don't sound like you are of any higher mentality that what your neighbor is. Perhaps you deserve each other. That's usually the way it goes...
Old 07-04-2014, 02:09 PM   #155 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
You frame this in terms of "stupid" vs. "smart". Irrational vs. irrational may be a more fitting description. BTW, "stupid" and "crazy" are two very different states of mind.
And your point?

[/quote]As I said, the technology does exist, but it is politically unwelcome under the current administration.[/quote]

OK, show us how it's possible to produce energy from coal without generating CO2. Then tell us what on Earth politics have, or should have, to do with science.

Quote:
What is the ordinance about diesel truck idling? It probably doesn't fall under the construction ordinance of noise before 7 AM.
What, you expect me to look up & cite local & ordinances for you? You ask too much.

Quote:
What threats did he make against you?
Basically, that he was going to beat the crap out of me, and coming after me with fists raised.

Quote:
HUH? You don't have a "right" to "natural air"..."going". What does that phrase mean?
You do speak English, don't you? What I mean is that I (like anyone else) have the right to whatever the outside air happens to be, whether it's a nice cool early morning breeze, or hot and dry afternoon wind.

Quote:
"If there is one"??? In your earlier posts you made it sound like this is a regularly occurring event.
His idling diesel pickup is the regularly-occuring event. His physical threats were the one-time thing.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:16 PM   #156 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Originally Posted by XYZ
Quote:
And your point?
The point may be that you still don't understand the difference.

Re: coal technology:

As I said, the technology does exist, but it is politically unwelcome under the current administration.

Quote:
OK, show us how it's possible to produce energy from coal without generating CO2. Then tell us what on Earth politics have, or should have, to do with science.
This thread began with and is still about taxation, even though it drifted into the area of your personal disputes with your neighbor.

Feel free to begin a new and different topical thread disputing the use of coal resources.

Quote:
What is the ordinance about diesel truck idling? It probably doesn't fall under the construction ordinance of noise before 7 AM.

Quote:
What, you expect me to look up & cite local & ordinances for you? You ask too much.
No - It's your problem. If you had any sense you would have looked up and cited local ordinances for YOU. Apparently you did, for you quoted them to us. YOU live there. We don't. It's YOUR problem - and you, and no one else but you gets to resolve your problem.

Quote:
What threats did he make against you?
Quote:
Basically, that he was going to beat the crap out of me, and coming after me with fists raised.
Do you expect us to believe that you never said or did anything prior to this to escalate it to this level?

Quote:
Quote:
You do speak English, don't you?
Yes, which is why I asked. Your sentence as stated was vague, bordering on incomprehensible.
Quote:
What I mean is that I (like anyone else) have the right to whatever the outside air happens to be, whether it's a nice cool early morning breeze, or hot and dry afternoon wind.
Including smelling your neighbor's truck, IF and when he is within the law.

If he is, then your supposed "right" is a figment of your personal imagination and desire - not one of the real world in which everyone lives.

Quote:
"If there is one"??? In your earlier posts you made it sound like this is a regularly occurring event.

Quote:
His idling diesel pickup is the regularly-occuring event. His physical threats were the one-time thing.
In your previous posts you already cited the various laws, yet you didn't call the cops back to enforce any of them. Since you didn't, it makes your story less than accurate or convincing.

It "takes two to tango". It sounds like you are a part of the problem with your neighbor.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:19 PM   #157 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
My A.D.D. kicked in long ago.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:23 PM   #158 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
My A.D.D. kicked in long ago.
What does that matter?
Old 07-04-2014, 11:29 PM   #159 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I thought you should know.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:34 PM   #160 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I thought you should know.
Why would anyone care about your A.D.D.?

Is it relevant to this discussion?

Reply  Post New Thread