View Single Post
Old 07-04-2014, 09:39 PM   #620 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I know my Superbeetle is a congested mess, with air-handling, electrical wiring and mechanical linkages—all in about 2 cubic feet at the back of an alligator hood.

Are you modeling the interior structures? Or has it moved on to sculpture?
I am debating about using my CNC machine to cut the seats that I had modeled, or to just do it from scratch. I had modeled much of the interior of the car, but certainly not all of it. The inside of the roof, I just offset it in DataCAD - after I cleaned it up from all the polygon segments. I just drew in the battery bays in DataCAD, as well. The inside of the motor bay and connecting the wheels to the chassis, were also just drawn in 2D.

It is not a coincidence that CarBEN looks similar to the Bionic - I had started with the early clay model of the Bionic (aka Boxfish) when I designed it.

Later on, I found a video that had a quick transition from this clay model to the Bionic car, that I grabbed some stills from - these would have been helpful, but all I had at first was the one image.

Here's an overlay of the Bionic / Boxfish and CarBEN:

For anyone who wants to see the whole process - design and construction (so far) from the beginning, take a look at this:

CarBEN EV Concept Photos by NeilBlanchard | Photobucket

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to NeilBlanchard For This Useful Post:
ecomodded (07-05-2014)